Frosting is a big deal in our family. It all started with our mom, who loved having a store bought birthday cake every year just for the amazing buttercream frosting from the bakery. We would even request extra flowers on the cake just so there would be more frosting! Haha! That may sound gross, but our family loves a good frosting!
I found this recipe on Sally’s Baking Addiction, and I’ll tell ya, it is the best frosting I have EVER made! It is so light and fluffy that you’ll want to eat it by the spoonful. Seriously, it’s that good.
My little boy turned one this week, so it gave me an excuse to try it! Luckily, my family is little so there was plenty of leftover cake. 🙂 My little man agreed with me on the frosting, as that was the only part he ate. But don’t worry, the whole cake is fabulous! 😉
Homemade Funfetti Cake and Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Homemade Funfetti Cake
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter 1 stick, melted
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup sprinkles (not nonpareils)
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks, softened to room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- dash of salt
Homemade Funfetti Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch baking pan (round or square) with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in the sugars getting out all lumps (mixutre will be gritty). Whisk in egg, sour cream, milk and vanilla until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Stir in sprinkles, but don't overmix to avoid sprinkles bleeding their color. Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cover loosely will aluminum foil. Bake for 13-17 more minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat softened butter on medium speed for three minutes, until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, half and half, vanilla extract and a dash of salt. Continue to beat frosting on high for 3 minutes. Add more or less powdered sugar to reach desired consistency. Frost cool cake as desired and top with sprinkles. Store cake at room temperature.
- 9 inch baking pan
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Aluminum Foil
- Mixing Bowl
(Recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction)