I know what you are thinking, this does not look like a grilled cheese sandwich. It is not your regular grilled cheese, it is a little more gourmet.
Believe it or not I actually entered it into a grilled cheese contest.
I have never entered any food contest before so I decided it was time I tried. It was so fun inventing and playing around with cheese and other ingredients.
After hours of experimenting, I think I perfected my Neapolitan Grilled Cheese Sandwich. I hope you love it as much as we do. It is so yummy and better than any grilled cheese you will ever taste.
This grilled cheese sandwich was inspired from the Argentinian dish: Milanesa Napolitana. When my husband was in Uruguay on a mission for our church he could not get enough of the food.
The Milanesa Napolitana was one of his favorites. It was his idea to make this delicious loaded grilled cheese.
And wow was it a good idea. So delicious and simple.
Would any cut of steak work for this recipe?
For this recipe, I recommend using sirloin tip steak. I find it’s a little easier to cut through, and makes a perfect cut of meat, for this sandwich, because it’s a little easier to chew.
However, you could really use any cut of steak. You may want to cut the steak a little thinner, depending on how tough it is, so it is a little easier to eat.
Again we do recommend using sirloin tip steak, but any steak would really work nicely.
What other cheese could I use for this sandwich?
If you have never tried fresh mozzarella, you need to stop what you are doing and try it. Especially on this sandwich. It is so delicious.
However, really any cheese could work for this sandwich. You could also use shredded Mozzarella, but the fresh stuff is extra great.
Watch how to make another simple steak favorite here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
I am all about easy dinners and this Slow Coker Steak Fajitas is so simple to throw together in the crock pot, and enjoy later. It’s simple. fast, and absolutely delicious. Watch how to make it, here:
Looking for other simple and delicious sandwich recipes? These are some of my favorites:
- World’s Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich
- Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
- Spinach and Artichoke Melt
The Neapolitan Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- 4 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 2 sirloin tip steaks thin
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 slices Italian bread white bread
- 4 slices Provolone cheese Wisconsin flavor
- 4 Tablespoons Marinara sauce
- 2 slices deli ham
- 4 slices Fresh Mozzarella cheese Wisconsin flavor
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Pour oil into a frying pan, making a shallow layer. Heat the oil on high.
- While it is heating, crack 1 egg into a small bowl and whisk. In another small bowl, mix the bread crumbs and steak seasoning well.
- Place your Steaks into the egg and then into the seasoning. Once the oil is hot, place your steaks into the pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until light brown and crispy (Be sure to watch it, you don't want it to burn). Set aside.
- In another pan, fry your remaining eggs one at a time to your liking (I like my eggs cooked all the way through). Set aside.
- Now you are ready to make your grilled cheese! Preheat your skillet to about 250 degrees
- First take 4 slices of bread and put a layer on mayo on all four slices. On two of the slices, start making your sandwich. First add 2 slices of Wisconsin Provolone Cheese to each sandwich. Next add your breaded steak followed by 2 Tablespoons of Marinara on each piece of steak (if you like more marinara sauce, feel free to add it!). After that you want to put on your ham, egg and top it with 2 thick slices of Wisconsin Mozzarella (fresh) Cheese on each one.
- When you are done adding the insides, place your 2 remaining slices of bread to the top, mayo side down. Lightly butter the tops and bottoms of the grilled cheese. Grill in skillet until bottom bread is lightly browned and cheese begins to melt; carefully flip the sandwich over, press lightly with a spatula, and cook until it is golden brown.
- Frying pan