I also found this recipe at Better Homes and Gardens, but in their recipe they make a bunch of small casseroles and I decided to make it easier and do it in one big pan. I LOVED this one.
I have just been loving jalapeños lately. Mmm Mmm. I don’t love the spice of them, but the flavor of them is delicious. Weird pregnancy craving maybe? Not sure, but loving the jalapeños.
I definitely take the seeds out, but you can keep them in if you are looking for more heat.
This recipe is so simple and perfect for a busy weeknight. I don’t know about you but the days only seem to speed up and not slow down. So this meal is perfect for nights when I just need a second to breathe and have more time to be with my family, than in the kitchen.
What other meat would taste good in this casserole?
This recipe calls for chicken, however, you could switch it up depending on what meat you have on hand. Here is what I would recommend if you are wanting to switch out the chicken:
- Ground Turkey
- Ground Beef
- Ground Chicken
- Turkey Breast
- (This recipe is also really delicious with grilled chicken).
What is a good substitute for sour cream?
I haven’t used sour cream in a recipe in a long time, because I am always using plain Greek yogurt. It has the same texture and flavor.
When you cook the plain Greek yogurt, it will be a little bit different of a texture. But in this recipe, you won’t be able to tell a difference with all the other toppings and ingredients on the casserole. Either one is delicious, but Greek yogurt definitely has more health benefits.
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel?
We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
Looking for more easy dinners? here are a few of our favorites:
- Creamy Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Oven Baked Beef Tacos
- Loaded Broccoli Casserole
- Protein Pasta
- Turkey and Swiss Cheese Sliders
Monterey Tortilla Casserole Recipe
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas cut into wedges
- 2 cups chicken cooked and cubed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 16 ounces salsa verde
- 3 Tablespoons light sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 ¼ cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Spray baking dish with nonstick coating. Place tortilla wedges over the whole base of the pan.
- Place remaining tortilla pieces on a baking sheet; bake in a 350 degree F oven about 10 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, combine chicken, corn, salsa, the 3 tablespoons sour cream, cilantro, and flour. Spread mixture over tortilla wedges.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes.
- Arrange baked tortilla pieces atop casseroles. Top with cheese; bake for 5 to 10 minutes more or until heated through.
- If desired, garnish with additional sour cream, jalapeno slices, cilantro, and tomato.
- 9x13-inch Baking Pan
- Mixing Bowl
Check out our new cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!