The neighborhood that we live in has the best tradition- a couple of times each summer, they have a “Sunday Neighborhood Walk Around”. A couple of families are the “hosts” and they set a table out in their front lawn. Other neighbors then bring cookies to the host families and leave them on the table to share.
Then all the neighbors just walk from host family to host family, talking and hanging out with neighbors (and eating cookies!!). We still feel kind of new in our neighborhood and this was the best way to meet lots of people. We had such a good time! I highly recommend starting this fun tradition in your neighborhood!
One of my neighbors brought these cookies and they were amazing!! As I have mentioned before, I am a sucker for anything that has chocolate and peanut butter and these are definitely on my favorite cookies list!
Magic in the Middle Cookies Recipe
These delicious moist and fudgy chocolate cookies are filled with a creamy peanut butter filling that is totally magic!
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup sweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs 1 egg and 1 yolk
Peanut Butter Filling
- ¾ cup peanut butter smooth or crunchy
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
- To make the dough: In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In another medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the sugars, butter, and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and the egg, beating to combine, then stir in the dry ingredients, blending well.
- To make the filling: In a small bowl, stir together the peanut butter and confectioners sugar until smooth. With floured hands or a teaspoon scoop, roll the filling into 26 one-inch balls.
- To shape the cookies: Scoop 1 tablespoon of the dough (a lump about the size of a walnut), make an indentation in the center with your finger and place one of the peanut butter balls into the indentation.
- Bring the cookie dough up and over the filling, pressing the edges together cover the center; roll the cookie in the palms of your hand to smooth it out. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Roll each rounded cookie in granulated sugar, and place on the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between cookies. Grease the bottom of a drinking glass, and use it to flatten each cookie to about 1/2-inch thick
- Bake the cookies for 7 to 9 minutes, or until they're set and you can smell chocolate. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a rack.
Calories: 183 kcal · Carbohydrates: 22 g · Protein: 4 g · Fat: 10 g · Saturated Fat: 4 g · Trans Fat: 1 g · Cholesterol: 24 mg · Sodium: 137 mg · Potassium: 118 mg · Fiber: 1 g · Sugar: 13 g · Vitamin A: 138 IU · Calcium: 15 mg · Iron: 1 mg
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Sheet