Our Instant Pot southwest shredded beef sandwiches recipe is a great way to spice up the traditional Instant Pot chuck roast recipe. It is an easy Instant Pot recipe that everyone will love and make your taste buds soar!
Our favorite recipe for shredded beef sandwiches has quickly become this Instant Pot southwest shredded beef sandwiches recipe. I just absolutely LOVE the flavor that comes along with this recipe.
You can not beat getting a bunch of delicious protein, some carbs, and loads of flavor all in one dish. Plus if you add coleslaw on top you can even claim that you’re eating veggies. Haha.
I always opt for coleslaw on my beef sandwich because the creaminess adds a nice balance to those southwest flavors. So if you are looking for easy Instant Pot recipes then you need to add this one to the list! It truly is the best way to cook a beef roast when you use the Instant Pot.
For even more delicious recipes to make in your Instant Pot, I would suggest trying our Instant Pot Panera Copycat White Cheesy Shells Recipe, Instant Pot Ground Turkey and Pumpkin Chili Recipe, and a super flavorful dish, our Instant Pot Pork Chile Verde (Pressure Cooker) Recipe.
Ingredients You Need to Make This Instant Pot Southwest Shredded Beef Sandwiches Recipe:
- Chuck roast
- Beef broth
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Ground black pepper
- Diced onion
- Canned stewed tomatoes (undrained)
- Canned diced green chilis
- Diced jalapeno pepper (be sure to remove the seeds or you might get more spice than you bargained for)
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Hamburger buns
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
How To Make Our Instant Pot Southwest Shredded Beef Sandwiches Recipe:
Start making the most flavorful chuck roast by placing your roast in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
Then pour the broth in over the top of the chuck roast.
Once the broth is in the pot, sprinkle the roast with cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, ground black pepper, salt, and pepper.
Now, add the diced onions, stewed tomatoes, diced chilies, and diced jalapeno pepper on top of the roast.
When that is all in the Instant Pot, place the lid on, making sure to set the valve to the SEALING position and then press the PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL button.
Now, set the timer based on the weight of your roast. You will set the timer for 25 minutes per pound of roast. So if you have a 3 pound roast you will set the time for 75 minutes.
After the timer is done based on the weight of the roast, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release of the pressure inside.
NOTE: The longer you let the roast sit in the pot, the better the flavor will be. I would suggest letting it sit on the KEEP WARM setting for at least an hour if you can!
Once your roast is done and the pin drops down signaling that all the pressure has been released from the Instant Pot, carefully remove the roast from Instant Pot and place it on a large plate.
Then take two forks and carefully shred the roast until it is broken up well.
When you are done shredding the meat, place it back into the Instant Pot with the juices, along with the freshly chopped cilantro, and mix it all together.
Now simply serve the meat on the buns and top it with any and all cheese and coleslaw you want!
You could even add some extra jalapenos on top if you have some left!
To Make This Instant Pot Chuck Roast Recipe You Will Need:
- Instant Pot (THIS is a great one to use!)
- Cutting board
- Large plate
Homemade Creamy Coleslaw
For this shredded beef sandwich recipe, I love to top it off with coleslaw. You can always buy some at the store if you want something simple and quick.
However, I absolutely love this homemade creamy coleslaw recipe by Taste of Home! It is so good, and super simple to put together. You can serve it on top of the sandwich, on the side, or both!
Why Should I Use a Natural Release When Cooking a Roast in the Instant Pot?
Honestly, it is all about the flavor. The Instant Pot is great and infusing the flavor into the chuck roast, but when you let it do its thing for how it was naturally intended, not only will you get great flavor, but you will also get a very tender, juicy roast.
I promise it is worth the little extra time it takes to let the roast release the pressure naturally!
What is the Best Roast to Use for this Recipe?
We love to use a good chuck roast for this recipe. You can always find a nice roasted marbled with all of the little fat creases that make this dish outstanding. Plus it makes the best juice for the shredded beef to marinate in.
Can You Freeze it for Later?
This roast beef sandwich recipe will definitely freeze well. When you let it cool down to room temperature you can either store it in a ziplock freezer bag or in a freeze-safe airtight container.
Plus it will last for up to 3 months in your freezer. So be sure not to use toss the leftovers!
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our newest cookbook is all about Pressure Cooking. If you love our Instant Pot recipes, this is the cookbook for you!
Each simple and delicious recipe contains clear instructions for prep and specific pressure cooking times from start to ready-to-serve.
Order your copy today!
INSTANT COOKING with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Sides to Serve with Southwest Shredded Beef Sandwiches:
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn Recipe
- Oven Roasted Green Beans Recipe
- California Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing Recipe
- Green Beans with Candied Pecans Recipe
- Loaded Broccoli Salad Recipe
- Ranch Pasta Salad (Easy Side Dish) Recipe
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- Oven-Roasted Broccoli Steaks Recipe
Make These Easy Beef Recipes for Your Family to Enjoy!
- Cheesy Beef Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- Easy Ground Beef Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Daube Stew with Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Beef and Potatoes Recipe
- Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Chipotle’s Barbacoa Beef Recipe
- Baked Beef Taquitos Recipe
- Instant Pot Italian Beef Roast Sandwiches Recipe
- Instant Pot Chile Colorado Beef Burritos Recipe
- Baked Shredded Beef Chimichangas Recipe
- Slow Cooker Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicago-Style Beef Sandwiches Recipe
Instant Pot Southwest Shredded Beef Sandwiches Recipe
- 3-4 pound chuck roast
- ½ cup beef broth or water
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 onion diced
- 14 ounces canned stewed tomatoes undrained
- 7 ounces canned diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno pepper (make sure the seeds are removed)
- ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 8 hamburger buns
- coleslaw optional
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese optional
- Place roast in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Pour broth in with the roast.
- Sprinkle all of the seasonings on top of the roast.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, chilies, and jalapeno pepper on top of everything.
- Place the lid on top, move the valve to SEALING, and press the PRESSURE COOK button. Depending on the weight of your roast, set timer for 25 minutes per pound (for a 3 pound roast, I cooked it for 75 minutes).
- When time is done, let pressure do a NATURAL RELEASE (I recommend letting it sit there on the “keep warm” setting for at least an hour, the longer you can go the more tender and juicy your roast will be!).
- Remove roast from Instant Pot and shred roast using 2 forks
- Return meat to Instant Pot and stir in with the juices. Stir in the fresh cilantro.
- Serve on buns topped with coleslaw and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Sliced jalapenos are also a great topper if you like heat!
- The longer you let the roast sit in the pot, the better the flavor will be. I would suggest letting it sit on the KEEP WARM setting for at least an hour if you can!
- Instant Pot
- Cutting Board
- large plate
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.