You have got to try this Instant Pot butter chicken recipe. This is a great Indian food recipe that you will want to make again and again.
While there are a lot of easy chicken instant recipes, this one is exceptional. With a few added items to your pantry, you can make a restaurant-quality meal all in your Instant Pot.
Try out this family favorite dinner recipe of ours and let us know what you think! Our kids love it and are always asking for seconds so that in itself makes this recipe magical!
Ingredients Needed For Our Instant Pot Butter Chicken Recipe:
- Diced onion
- Minced garlic
- Chicken thighs or chicken breast
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Red curry paste
- Garam Masala (you can find it HERE)
- Ground ginger
- Smoked paprika (find it on Amazon HERE)
- Heavy cream
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
How To Make Our Instant Pot Butter Chicken Recipe:
Plus in your Instant Pot and press the SAUTE button. Then add in the butter, diced onion, and minced garlic.
Saute everything for about 5 minutes or until the onions become tender. Once they are tender press the CANCEL button to turn it off.
Now, add in the pieces of chicken tomato sauce, tomato paste, red curry paste, garam masala, ground ginger, salt, and smoked paprika into the Instant Pot.
Once that is done, lock the lid in place and turn the valve to the SEALING position, and then set the timer for 7 minutes with the Instant Pot set to the HIGH PRESSURE mode.
After the timer finishes, let the Instant Pot naturally release for another 5 minutes, then turn the valve to the VENTING position.
When all of the pressure leases from inside the Instant Pot, remove the lid and use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from inside and set it aside.
Now, add the heavy cream to the pot and use an immersion blender to puree the sauce until it is smooth.
NOTE: If you do not have an immersion blender, pour the content of the inner pot into a blender, and then pour it back into the inner pot once it is smooth.
Then, press the SAUTE button and let the sauce simmer for 7-10 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken up.
Once the sauce is thicker, add the chicken back to the sauce and stir everything together.
When you are ready serve it with some fresh cilantro and enjoy!
To Make This Indian Food Recipe You Will Need:
- Instant Pot
- Slotted spoon
- Immersion blender (THIS is a great one!)
What is Garam Masala?
Garam Masala is not a spice we cook with every day so, it might not be common to you as well. You can get it HERE on amazon if you don’t already have it in your pantry.
If you want to know more about what garam masala take a look at the article from Master Class on What is Garam Masala? You can even find out how to make your own from scratch.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our newest cookbook is all about Pressure Cooking. If you love our Instant Pot recipes, this is the cookbook for you!
Each simple and delicious recipe contains clear instructions for prep and specific pressure cooking times from start to ready-to-serve.
Order your copy today!
INSTANT COOKING with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Easy Instant Pot Recipes to Make:
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken and Noodles (with Vegetables)
- Instant Pot Honey Glazed Ham Recipe
- Instant Pot Biscuits and Gravy Recipe
- Instant Pot Shredded Beef Enchiladas Recipe
- Instant Pot Ground Turkey and Rice Taco Bowls Recipe
Instant Pot Butter Chicken Recipe
- 1 onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds chicken thighs or chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces)
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup heavy cream
- fresh cilantro optional garnish
- Set your Instant Pot to SAUTE and add butter, onion and garlic. Saute for approximately 5 minutes until the onions are tender. Press OFF to cancel the saute.
- Add the chicken, tomato sauce, tomato paste, red curry paste, garam masala, ground ginger, salt, and smoked paprika to the Instant Pot. Lock the lid in place and turn the pressure valve to seal it. Set to HIGH PRESSURE for 7 minutes.
- When the timer goes off do a natural release for 5 minutes and then turn the valve on top to VENTING to let the remaining steam out of the pressure cooker.
- Remove the lid and using a slotted spoon remove the chicken from the sauce and set aside.
- Add the heavy cream to the pot and, using an immersion blender puree the sauce until smooth.
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and stir the sauce while simmering for 7-10 minutes, or until it thickens. Turn OFF saute.
- Add the chicken back to the sauce, stir together, and serve with a garnish of cilantro.
- Instant Pot
- Slotted Spoon
- immersion blender
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.