We put a Halloween twist on one of our favorite cupcakes. We love our Valentine’s Day Neapolitan Cupcakes, so turning them into a Halloween dessert added a spooky twist to our family party! The kids loved these bright orange cupcakes with a brownie bottom. You will love our buttercream frosting. These cute cupcakes are a must for your Halloween party!
Halloween Brownie Cupcakes Recipe
- 18.4 ounces brownie mix I used Pillsbury chocolate fudge for a 9 x 13 pan
- ⅔ cup oil
- ¼ cup water
- 2 eggs
- 15.25 ounces vanilla cake mix I used Betty Crocker
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- orange food coloring (about 10 - 15 drops)
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup sprinkles optional topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Mix brownie mix according to package directions. With the Pillsbury brand brownie mix, blend together brownie mix, vegetable oil, water, and eggs. Stir together just until incorporated. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine the vanilla cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and eggs. Mix on low speed until blended. Then stir in your food coloring.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/3 of the way with brownie batter. I was able to fill about 22 cupcakes.
- Then carefully spoon orange cake batter on top of the brownie batter to fill muffin cups 2/3 full. (I had leftover cake batter) You can make regular cupcakes with the extra cake batter if you want.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes. Just until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter, shortening and vanilla. Then add in milk and powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Mix together until light and fluffy. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and add sprinkles to the top.
- Cupcake Baking Tin
- Medium Mixing Bowl (2)
- Large Mixing Bowl