You’ll be surprised when you take a bite of this chocolate cream cheese cake. It’s so moist and loaded with so many delicious flavors. The secret ingredient in this cake is a box of chocolate instant pudding mix.
The pudding adds extra chocolate fudge flavor and makes the cake super moist. Then you swirl the cream cheese and chocolate chip mixture into the entire cake.
Top the whole cake off with our amazing chocolate buttercream frosting for one amazing chocolate cake for your dessert or party.
We actually had this cake to celebrate our dad’s 60 birthday. It was a hit with the entire family. Your family is going to enjoy this too!
will any chocolate cake mix work?
We used a Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Cake Mix for this recipe. You can use any other brand of Devil’s Food cake mix and it will work too.
You can use other flavors of chocolate cake in place of Devil’s Food. They all taste great. We like to use Betty Crocker cake mixes. Just be sure the cake mix is 15.25 ounces.
how do you store this cake?
You can easily make this cake a day ahead of time if you have a lot of cooking to do. You can cover it so it’s airtight to keep fresh. Place it in the fridge for freshness.
If you have leftovers, just cover well and store in an airtight container. We had a few pieces leftover, so we covered them well and placed in the freezer. Let thaw for a few hours before serving.
If you are planning on eating it the next day, just cover well and place in the fridge.
how to make chocolate cream cheese cake
We love this cake because it calls for simple ingredients that we usually have on hand in our pantry and fridge.
Who knew that simple ingredients could make an amazing and delicious cake. It’s a family favorite!
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour the bottom only of a 9 x 13 inch glass pan. Or spray with a non stick cooking spray with flour.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the cake mix, pudding mix, water, vegetable oil, vanilla and eggs.
- Mix on low for 30 seconds, and then on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan.
- In another large bowl beat the cream cheese, sugar, and egg with hand mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the cream cheese filling by tablespoonfuls over the batter.
- Using a table knife, swirl the batter back and forth, then turn the pan and swirl the batter back and forth going the other direction.
Be sure that when swirling the cream cheese mixture, the mixture goes down into the cake batter. (not just on the surface)
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- After the cake is cooled, in a medium sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter, cocoa, milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Frost over the cooled cake and serve.
helpful items used in this cake
- Mixing Bowl Set – We love this 6 piece set with a silicone base so they don’t slide.
- Hand Mixer – We just ordered this hand mixer and LOVE it. It has a burst button that comes in handy.
- Glass Baking Dish – 9 x 13 glass baking dish with a plastic lid.
- Mini Spatula – We love this mini spatula for dishing out small pieces of cake, brownies, and bars.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE THESE RECIPES WITH YOU. ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!
SIX SISTERS’ STUFF COPYCAT COOKING <—– CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
we have more tasty cake recipes for you:
- Caramel Pumpkin Poke Cake
- Butterscotch Banana Bundt Cake
- Funfetti Cake and Buttercream Frosting
- Strawberries and Cream Poke Cake
- Chocolate Ho Ho Cake
- Pina Colada Cake
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker
Have you seen our YouTube channel?