Chocolate, Christmas, Christmas, Dessert, Recipes, Snacks

Chubby Hubby Buckeye Peanut Butter Truffles Recipe

chubby hubby truffles

I’ve had my eye on these for a long time, but I knew my waistline wouldn’t thank me once I made them (I have no self control). I finally gave in and have made them more than once! They are so easy and DELICIOUS! I love anything with peanut butter and chocolate.

As you can see, there are only 4 left from the whole batch. My husband and I went to town on these bad boys before I was able to get some pictures, but each batch makes 18 truffles (or more, depending on the size you make them).

So of course, I had to make another batch to bring to the neighbors!
Make them. You won’t regret it.
Chubby Hubby Buckeye Truffles Recipe:
(Recipe from The Brown Eyed Baker)

Ingredients:

1½ cups pretzel pieces
½ cup creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
dash of salt
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 cup milk chocolate chips or semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening

Place the pretzel pieces in a resealable plastic bag and crush into very small bits (a rolling pin works great for this- put your kids to work!).
In a small bowl, mix the peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and salt together. Mix until all of the ingredients are completely blended and smooth. Add the pretzel bits to the peanut butter mixture and mix well. Add the powdered sugar and mix until completely combined.
Line a small baking sheet with wax paper. Get about 2 teaspoons of the peanut butter mixture and gently shape into a ball with your fingertips. Place the ball on the wax paper-lined cookie sheet and repeat with the remaining peanut butter mixture. Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes.
When ready to dip the truffles, microwave the chocolate chips and vegetable shortening together in a small bowl at 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until completely melted and smooth.
Working one at a time, dip one peanut butter-pretzel ball into the melted chocolate and use a fork to roll it around, ensuring that it is completely coated with chocolate. Let any extra chocolate drip off and place back on the wax paper-lined sheet. Repeat with all of the peanut butter-pretzel balls. Return the baking sheet to the refrigerator and again chill for at least 30 minutes. Garnish with a drizzle of melted peanut butter and crushed pretzels, if desired. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Makes about 18 truffles.

ElyseSignature1

Looking for more truffles?
Thin Mint Cookie Truffles
Pumpkin Pie Truffles
M and M Cookie Dough Truffles
Cake Batter Truffles
Oreo Cookie Truffles

Comments

Making these right now! :) I had to add an extra tablespoon of Peanut Butter because the mixture wouldn’t hold together using the measurements provided above. I wonder if you use a specific kind of PB? I used JIF. Thanks for the recipe!

I made these tonight. I too had a hard time keeping the mix together. I wondered if the measurements were correct. I think on the next batch I may cut the pretzels to 1 cup and see what happens. Tasted pretty good but mine were not very pretty Haha!

I made these for the 1st time today and decided to double the “wet” ingredients (everything except for the pretzels) because it seemed a little dry. These are absolutely wonderful!

I just made these, I doubled the recipe, lest I have the ‘only 4 survived’ problem. They are a gift for a friend and i want to make sure he actually gets to try the truffles. I had no issues w your ingredient list at all!
    I’m a new visitor and pinner, I’ll definitely be back!

Made these last night as part of our Valentine’s Day candymaking extravaganza. SUPER YUMMY, though I opted for natural peanut butter and did have a few casualties when we were rolling them up… only 2-3 wouldn’t stick together. Once the chocolate got on the outside, though, we were golden and they are friggin DELICIOUS. :) Can’t beat salty sweet!

Added a lot more peanut butter, to make them stick together better, and that worked well. I also put shortening on my hands when I was forming them-an immense help. They were absolutely delicious. Couldn’t keep my kids. From devouring them!

This look yummy….think the name is appropriate, Chubby Hubby : )
    Have made the Chunky Monkey cookies too. My two year granddaughter asked my last week for chunky monkey. : )

I’ve made a similar recipe at Christmas several times and found that if the “balls” re put in the freezer for a bit, they will not fall apart when you dip them in the warm chocolate. The addition of pretzel might be too much to handle….I have to make these soon!!

I pinned these a while back and think they look amazing!!!
    I’m from Ohio so we are big on the whole buckeye theme!!
    I’d love for you to share this or any Pinterest recipe over at my blog today!!
    I’m doing a new Pinterest foodie party!

I just made these and they look amazing! My batch only made 12, hmmm…. I used a cookie scoop so the size seems right. I made them as a little something extra for Thanksgiving in case someone is sick of pumpkin pie :-)

Ok, I am waiting for them to chill…
    Although I made a completely different recipe (with home-made cashews butter, chocolate chip cookies and milk chocolate), still I want to thank you for the inspiration! It was a lovely bonding afternoon with my husband. :)

• says

Hi Shannon, vegetable shortening is different than vegetable oil. Shortening is like the thick crisco, it is not liquid. Also, you can use one cup of milk chocolate chips or one cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Whichever kind you prefer. Hope this helps you.

13. shanna says

these look incredible, just wondering what kind of pretzels to use? i have whole wheat thin sticks, would that work ok? also can i use margarine or butter instead of shortening?

14. Valerie says

Every year I buy my husband an expensive box of truffles but i will be making this recipe instead looks so easy and delicious thank you

15. Tootie says

I’ve never used melted peanut butter. Does it harden on the truffles like the chocolate ? Looks amazing but I dont want them to stay sticky.

16. Valerie says

Just made my first batch and had one you girls sure no what your doing with flavors another fantastic recipe thanks oh and I did double the recipe except for the pretzels and they held together perfect

17. Kelsee Devey says

I too am confused as to where you would use the milk, I understand that you would need the chocolate to roll the truffles.

• Cyd says

Sorry for the confusion. There is no milk in the recipe, just milk chocolate chips or semi sweet chocolate chips. We used milk chocolate chips. Hope this helps.

With all the comments about the confusion of whether to use milk in the recipe, I would think you would rephrase that part of the recipe…just say’n.