We are always looking for the perfect dessert for our summer barbecues. We love these watermelon slice cookies! So easy to make and the kids went crazy over them. They are moist and taste like a sugar cookie. Be sure to take them to your next cookout!!
Watermelon Slice Cookies Recipe
- ¾ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract)
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- red and green food coloring
- ⅓ cup mini Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar til light and fluffy. Then stir in egg and vanilla. Then add baking powder, salt, and flour and beat well. Set aside 1 cup of dough.
- Tint remaining dough red and shape it into a 3 1/2 in long roll. Wrap it in plastic wrap and put in freezer to set up.
- With the 1 cup of dough that you set aside, tint 1/3 of it green and wrap it in plastic wrap and put in fridge until firm. The 2/3 of the remaining dough will be left it's natural color. Wrap it in plastic wrap and put in fridge until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the plain dough into a rectangle that is about 3 1/2 inches by 8 inches. Unwrap the chilled red dough and roll it up into the plain dough. Make sure you wrap it snuggly. Roll it around on the counter to seal the two layers together well. Wrap back up and freeze til firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the green dough into a 3 1/2 inch by 9 inch rectangle. Roll the chilled dough up snuggly in the green dough. Roll to seal the layers together. Wrap back up in plastic wrap and chill in freezer until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap dough and cut into slices just under 1/4 inch. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Lightly press mini chocolate chips into the red part of each cookie slice.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until firm. After taking them out of the oven, immediately cut cookies in half while hot. I used the edge of a spatula for a nice even cut just pushing down.
- Large Bowl
- Plastic Wrap
- Rolling Pin
Adapted from: Taste of Home