We have lived in our house for three years. When we moved in, the house had been empty for quite some time and the backyard was completely overgrown. Shortly after moving in, we discovered that we had a cherry tree and plum tree in this overgrown “jungle” and we have enjoyed eating them for the past few years. Well, about three weeks ago, my 6 year old daughter came into the house yelling, “One of the plum trees makes apples!” We headed out back and sure enough- tucked in the back corner of the yard, there was an apple tree loaded with perfect gala apples. Needless to say, we have had so many apples! We are literally eating apples for every. single. meal.
I love apple crisp recipes, but my husband isn’t crazy about them. He does, however, love caramel apples. So, I took my favorite apple crisp recipe, poured caramel ice cream topping all over it and the end product was a match made in heaven! You’ll have to try it for yourself!
Warm Caramel Apple Crisp Recipe
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups light brown sugar packed
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup butter cold and cut into pieces
- 8 cups thinly sliced apples
- 16 ounces caramel ice cream topping
- 1 cup apple juice divided
- additional cinnamon to sprinkle on apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x13" baking pan using nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle apples with a light dusting of cinnamon.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Once mixed together, cut in the cold butter. Press half of the oat mixture into your greased pan.
- Top with half of the sliced apples and half of the jar of caramel.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the remaining oats on top.
- Repeat layers, layering the remaining apples, remaining caramel sauce, and remaining oats. Pour 1/2 cup of the apple juice all over the crisp.
- Place pan in the oven and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- Pull the pan out, pour the remaining apple juice over the top, and stick back in the oven for 15-20 minutes (you will want to make sure that your apples are done- the thinner you cut them, they quicker they will bake).
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
- This is amazing with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce on top!
- 9x13-inch Baking Pan
- Mixing Bowl