Perfect for the holidays, our sweet potato pie recipe will have you wanting more and more. It is a wonderfully creamy pie and has the best mix of spices to create that traditional sweet potato pie taste.
Sweet potato pie recipe – such a classic for this time of the year. It is the perfect dessert recipe. I know it’s not true, but since it’s made with a potato I tell myself its kind of healthy. Right?
Healthy or not, it will not stop me from coming back for a another slice or two. It is dangerously delicious and a tried and true recipe that you will use year after year.
Make sure that you save this one so you can make it again next year, because I can promise you if you make this recipe for a get-together this season, they will ask you to make it again next year. Or even ask for the recipe to make for themselves.
For more family holiday recipes, I would suggest our No Bake Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe, The Best Dutch Apple Pie Recipe, and of course the classic Simple Pumpkin Pie Recipe. Pretty much any and all pie is great in my opinion, but I could also live off desserts.
Be sure to save our Thanksgiving Dinner Menu Ideas so you can have the best recipes all in one place!
Ingredients You Need to Make The Perfect Sweet Potato Pie Recipe:
- Sweet potato (with skins on)
- Butter, softened
- Brown sugar
- White granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cloves
- Ground ginger
- Vanilla extract
- Unbaked pie crust
- Heavy cream
- Powdered sugar
How To Make Our Sweet Potato Pie Recipe:
Start by filling a large pot with water and then place the washed sweet potatoes into the water whole, with the skins still on.
Make sure that the potatoes are completely covered with water so that they cook evenly.
Bring the water to a boil and let the potatoes cook for 40-50 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender enough to puncture with a fork.
While those are cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
Carefully drain the sweet potatoes from the water when they are done and then run them under cold water.
Next you will need to remove the skins from the sweet potatoes, but they should come off pretty easily.
After all the skins have been remove, place the tender sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl and smash them with a fork.
Next, add the butter and mix it together with a hand mixer until it is well combined.
Then add in the brown sugar, granulated sugar, milk, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and vanilla extract and beat it on medium all together until it is nice and smooth.
Now pour the sweet potato pie filling into the unbaked pie crust and then place it into the oven and bake it for 55-60 minutes.
The pie will be done when you can insert a knife into the pie and have it come out clean.
Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely.
While the pie cools down you can make some homemade whipped cream to put on top.
In another large mixing bowl combine the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract and beat it all together until the mixture forms soft peaks.
Place the whipped cream in the fridge for up to 30 minutes before you are going to serve the pie.
When you are ready to serve the pie, pull out the whipped cream and whisk it again to aerate it and create the soft peaks again.
Now simply slice up the pie, top it with a dollop of the homemade whipped cream, and sprinkle on some ground cinnamon and enjoy!
To Make this Traditional Sweet Potato Pie Recipe You Will Need:
- Large mixing bowl
- Hand mixer (THIS is a great one!)
What is the Difference Between a Sweet Potato and a Yam?
Is there a difference between a sweet potato and a yam? Some people seem to think they can be used interchangeably, especially when in coverstion, but they are not the same thing.
A sweet potato is sweet, and have a softer, more buttery texture than that of a yam as well as have an orange flesh color. Yams are harder and taste more like a russet potato, as well as white flesh.
Bon Apetite has a great article that goes over the difference between a sweet potato and a yam. Check it out, it has a lot of interesting information.
Are There Eggs in Sweet Potato Pie?
There are eggs in the sweet potato pie! They are essential for the pie to hold its more gelatinous texture. They are great for a combining component for this pie recipe.
What Seasonings Go in Sweet Potato Pie?
When you think about Fall seasonings, those are the ones you are going to use. Our pie is perfectly spiced with ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Ideas For Dishes to Serve at Thanksgiving this Year:
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- Blueberry Fluff Salad Recipe
- Honey Dijon Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- 30 Minute Homemade Rolls Recipe
- Green Beans with Candied Pecans Recipe
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots Recipe
- Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Easy Deviled Eggs Recipe
- Berry Cheesecake Pudding Salad Recipe
- Easy Chocolate Cream Pie
How Else Can You Use Sweet Potatoes? Try These Amazing Recipes:
- Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe
- Air Fryer Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Slow Cooker Candied Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Mom’s Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Mash Recipe
- BBQ Chicken Stuffed Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- 1½ pounds Sweet Potatoes with skins on
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked pie crust (9 inch)
Optional Whipped Topping
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Fill a large pot with water and place sweet potato in the water whole. Make sure that the sweet potato is completely covered with water. Bring water to a boil and let the sweet potato cook for 40-50 minutes or until it’s tender when you pierce it with a fork. (If you want to take less time to cook the sweet potatoes, you can cut them into pieces and it will take only 15-20 minutes. You could also cook them in your Instant Pot).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove sweet potato from the pot and run under cold water. Remove the skin (it should peel off very easily).
- Place the sweet potato in a large mixing bowl and roughly smash it using a fork. Add butter and mix with an electric mixer until well combined. If you want your pie filling to be extra smooth, you could combine all the ingredients in a blender. Add in sugar, milk, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and vanilla; beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes.
- Let pie cool and then serve with a dollop of homemade whipped cream on top.
- To make whipped topping, combine heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl, and whisk until soft peaks form. Refrigerate for up to 30 minutes. Just before serving, whisk again until stiff peaks form.
- Top whipped cream with a sprinkle of cinnamon and enjoy!
- You can also cook the sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Hand mixer
Be sure to not miss another recipe! Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.