Could i make this cake using a different cake mix?
I am all about chocolate, however, you could easily switch out the chocolate cake mix for a vanilla or white.
If you use a white or vanilla cake mix, it will be very similar to our Strawberries and Cream Cake recipe.
We highly recommend giving either flavor a try because chocolate and white cake, are both delicious with this recipe.
Make it your own:
The thing I love about this cake, is that you can easily make it your own. It’s so easy to do, and it takes absolutely amazing.
If you don’t like any of the candies listed in the ingredients list, you could easily replace them. A few candies that are easy to replace others you might not like, include:
- Wafer Cookies
- M & M’s
- Chocolate Chips
- Tootsie Rolls
- Red Hots
Watch how to make another one of our favorite easy dessert recipes, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
This No Bake Eclair Cake is light and rich and the same time. It is so rich and creamy, you won’t be able to resist. Plus that chocolate layer on top, really adds to the chocolatey goodness. It really is like an eclair in cake form.
Watch how to make this recipe, here:
Farmyard Birthday Cake Recipe
- 2 (9 inch) round cakes cooked
- 16 ounce pound cake prepared
- 12 cupcakes prepared and divided
- 1 ¾ cups green frosting
- 3 ½ cups white frosting
- 1.5 ounces decorating gel blue
- 2 bamboo skewers
- 14 ounces Pull N Peel licorice cherry
- 1 ½ cups Life cereal
- 2 cups pretzel sticks
- ½ cup pink frosting
- 1 ¼ cups white frosting
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 5 marshmallows big
- ¼ cup pink sugar sprinkles
- 3 starburst candies pink
- 1.32 ounces strawberry mentos candy
- 1 cup sweetened coconut tinted yellow
- ¼ cup jelly beans orange and yellow
- To make the base, trim the round cake tops flat and assemble them facedown, as shown. Frost them green, leaving a small bare spot for the pond. Frost the spot white, then pipe on strips of blue decorators' gel. Using the back of a spoon, gently spread the gel over the white frosting to cover it.
- For the barn, cut a 7-inch section from the pound cake and trim the roof, as shown. For the silo, remove the tops of 2 cupcakes. Stack them and add a third cupcake on top, frosting between the layers. Insert 2 skewers and trim the excess.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of white frosting in a ziplock bag. Generously frost the barn and silo. Separate the licorice into 3-strand sections, then gently press them in place. Use scissors to trim any excess, then wipe off excess frosting with a damp paper towel. Add cereal shingles. Snip off a corner of the ziplock bag and pipe on windows and doors. Press on pretzel Xs. Firmly but carefully place the barn and silo on the barnyard base.
- Make the five fence sections. Lay 10 pretzel sticks vertically on a wax paper?covered work surface. Working in 10-second bursts, microwave 1/3 cup of chocolate chips in a ziplock bag until the chocolate is soft. Snip a corner of the bag, pipe on chocolate "glue," and lay on the crosspieces. Refrigerate the sections until the chocolate has hardened, about 10 minutes, then press them into the cake base.
- Frost the pig cupcakes pink, the remaining cupcakes white. For all three types of animals, press on chocolate chip eyes. To make noses for the pigs and cows, cut marshmallows in half and dip the cut ends in pink sugar. Press them on, sugar side up.
- Chick: Sprinkle on yellow coconut. Cut a triangle beak from orange jelly candy and press it on, then add lemon jelly candy wings.
- Cow: Working in 10-second bursts, microwave the remaining chocolate chips in a ziplock bag until the chocolate is soft. Snip a corner of the bag and pipe on nostrils and spots. Add Mentos ears.
- Pig: Add licorice nostrils. For ears, cut the Star-burst crosswise and press on the pieces.
- I got the directions for this cake from Familyfun.com. Then I typed in the word Farm Cake and this cake popped up. But now the website does not exist. Some things they don't tell you...
- You can make the cake and frost the green part the day before. Do Not put the licorice on the day before because it makes the licorice slimy and can almost tip over the barn.
- Second... Add the pig ears the day of too. The starbursts also get slimy.
- Thirdly.... make your fence with the hot frosting on a plate that is sturdy. After you arrange it to how you like it...then.... stick it in the freezer so the chocolate hardens keeping your fence in place. - I did little sections of the fence then put them next to each other on the cake.
Check out our new cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!