Ever since we were married, my husband has told me about Eggs ala Goldenrod. The thought of toast, gravy and hard boiled eggs did not sound appetizing to me. My husband’s grandpa would make this recipe growing up and taught him how to make it. After 5 years of marriage, I finally agreed to try it…..and it was fabulous! The creamy gravy is absolutely delicious over warm toast! I guess he was right all along. 🙂
Eggs ala Goldenrod Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups milk
- 8 slices white bread toasted
- 8 eggs hard boiled
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour to make a roux and cook for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 more minutes, whisking occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites from the hard boiled eggs.
- Chop the egg whites and stir into the gravy.
- Mash the yolks with a fork and set aside.
- To serve, place toasted bread on a plate, cover with gravy and garnish with egg yolk.