My mom has a HUGE drawer in her kitchen full of recipes that she has saved over the years. Some are from her mom, some are from my dad’s mom, many are recipes that she has cut out of the newspaper or magazines, and some are handwritten from friends. I love that every recipe (especially the handwritten ones!) have a story that goes with them.
My mom usually cooked 1-2 turkeys a year – we would eat it for Sunday dinner and then she would portion it out and freeze the rest for other meals.
One of my favorite leftover turkey dinners was Turkey Tetrazzini, and when I came across the recipe for it the other day while digging through this recipe drawer, I wanted to make it immediately.
I didn’t have any turkey on hand, but I had plenty of chicken, so I used the chicken instead and it still turned out delicious. Save this recipe for your post-Thanksgiving turkey or make it immediately with whatever you have available!
Related Recipe: Looking for more casseroles your family will love? Be sure to try our CORNBREAD SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE.
Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole
- 16 ounces pasta linquine
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- dash cayenne pepper
- 2 (14.5) ounce chicken broth canned
- 1 cup half and half
- 5 boneless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced
- 4 ounces pimentos diced and drained
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook linguine as directed on package. While it cooks, melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. When the butter is completely melted, stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper until mixture is smooth.
- Carefully pour in the broth, stirring as you pour it in. Bring to a boil and cook for 1-2 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove saucepan from stove top and stir in half-and-half.
- After pasta is done cooking, drain the water and pour into a large bowl. Add the chicken, mushrooms, pimentos, and parsley. Pour sauce on top and mix until everything is covered in sauce.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour noodle and sauce mixture into the pan. Top with Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes, serve.
- 9x13-inch Baking Pan