My husband absolutely LOVES Butterfingers. They are one of his most favorite candy bars. I didn’t know this until a month or two ago, so I surprised him with these Butterfinger cupcakes! With a doctored cake mix to make the bottom moist, and a peanut butter buttercream frosting to top it off, they are now a staple at every special occasion at our house!
Butterfinger Cupcakes Recipe
- 15.25 ounces yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 (1.9 ounce) Butterfinger candy bars
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temp
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar more or less if needed
- 1 Tablespoons vanilla
- 8 ounces Butterfinger bites for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, use a cheese grater to grate the Butterfinger candy bars into fine crumbs (reserving a small bit to use for toppings). Add the eggs, oil, milk, sour cream, and vanilla extract and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add in the cake mix and stir until smooth
- Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way full, then bake for 18-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Whip the butter on medium-high for a good 4-5 minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl once or twice.
- Reduce the speed to low, and slowly add the powdered sugar. You can add more or less powdered sugar depending on how thick you want your icing.
- Once the powdered sugar is all incorporated, add in your peanut butter and vanilla.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and whip until light and fluffy (about two minutes).
- Top cupcakes with frosting, a Butterfinger bite and leftover grated butterfinger.
- Mixing Bowl
- cupcake tin