English toffee has always been one of my favorite Christmas treats. If a goody plate shows up at our door, the English toffee is always the first treat to disappear.
This is the perfect toffee for gift giving or just indulge for your own pleasure. It’s so easy to make and no candy thermometer needed.
could I replace the almonds?
You could most definitely replace the almond in this recipe.
A lot of people don’t love almonds or any nuts in their toffee, but I personally love it. If you are wanting to switch out the almonds for another nut, I recommend peanuts, pecans, walnuts, or cashews.
They are all delicious with this toffee, and work just as well.
You could also use candy cane bits, M & M’s,
how long does toffee stay fresh?
Toffee stays fresh for a good amount of time. You can always count on Toffee to have a long life span.
This is easily a recipe that could be made ahead of time. Even a week in advance.
I believe it tastes better when it is on the first or second day, and is still very fresh, but this toffee stays good for a long time.
If you are storing it, I recommend putting it in an airtight container, just to avoid that extra exposure, however, it will be good sitting out for a day.
If you are making it for more than 2-3 weeks in advance, or want to preserve it for a few months, I recommend freezing it.
I would wrap it in saran wrap, or foil, then place it in the fridge. Two days before serving, I wold recommend removing it from the freezer, to allow it to thaw.
watch how to make a similar holiday favorite, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We created it, with specifically, YOU in mind. We love making simple and delicious recipes, and decided we wanted to actually show you how to make them.
Each recipe is tried and true, so you know even your pickiest eaters will love it.
We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make our recipes, so they turn out perfectly every time.
We love Christmas candies and chocolates, so we wanted to share another simple and delicious candy recipe with you.
This is our Saltine Cracker English Toffee recipe. Watch how to make it, here:
looking for more holiday treats? Here are a few of our favorite:
ALMOND ENGLISH TOFFEE RECIPE
- 1½ cups whole almonds unblanched with skin on
- 1 cup butter salted
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ Tablespoon hot water
- 12 ounces milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup pecans finely chopped
- Toast the almonds by putting them on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 2 minutes, turning them after one minute.
- Line a 9x13 baking sheet with foil.
- Arrange the toasted almonds all over on the foil lined baking sheet.
- Using a heavy 2 quart saucepan add the butter, sugar, vanilla and salt. Cook over medium/high heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon and just when the butter mixture is all melted add in the 1/2 tablespoon hot water. (Be sure to add this before the mixture really starts to cook)
- Continue to stir constantly over the heat for about 7 to 9 minutes until color starts to brown. It could even start to smoke lightly at the end of the cooking time. Immediately pour this hot butter mixture over the almonds in the foil lined pan. Pour quickly because it starts to set up fast.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the hot mixture. Let the chocolate chips set for about 1 minute. They will begin to melt, then spread the melted chocolate over all the pan with a knife. Sprinkle with the chopped pecans. Pat the pecans very gently into the chocolate with your hands. Let it cool for about an hour so the chocolate chips will set up.
- Break into pieces and serve.
have you seen our new cookbook?
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!