So, I found this recipe that was lactose free – however – it was full of tofu. I like to try new things, but honestly, that’s one ingredient I would buy once and NEVER, ever use again. So, I adapted it to fit things I had in my fridge. The best part? As we were eating it, my husband asked what kind of meat was in it. When I told him there was no meat, he was so impressed! Then, when I explained how to make it, he told me it was easy enough that he was excited to try and make it! So, if that doesn’t sell you on these babies – maybe that they are LOADED with veggies and good for you will! 😉
Veggie Stuffed Shells Recipe
- 6 ounces jumbo pasta shells
- 8 ounces mushrooms diced
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- ½ cup olives diced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 24 ounces pasta sauce 1 jar
- These shells are LOADED with veggies! Plus, my husband couldn't even tell there wasn't any meat in them!
- While pasta is cooking, saute mushrooms and onions in olive oil until tender.
- Remove mushrooms and onions from heat, then add the spinach, olives, and mozzarella. Mix until completely combined.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour 1/2 the pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9x13" pan.
- Stuff each shell with a portion of the mushroom and spinach mixture.
- Place the shells in the 9x13" pan, and then top with the rest of the pasta sauce. Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, uncover, then return to oven for another 5 minutes until it starts to bubble.
- Serve warm.
- large pot
- 9x13-inch Baking Pan