My family loves Italian food. We eat our fair share of pizza around here, so I decided to try something a little different. I am usually the only person in our family who will eat mushrooms and spinach, but this tasty recipe changed that real quick! This is one of our family’s favorite meals and I’m sure your family will love it too!
Serves: 4 people
THREE CHEESE MUSHROOM AND SPINACH CALZONE RECIPE
This is one of our family's favorite meals and I'm sure your family will love it too!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil plus additional for brushing
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups baby spinach packed
- 1 tube refrigerated pizza dough
- 5 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese divided
- 1½ cups grated fontina cheese divided
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- non stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms to the oil and saute until the mushrooms are brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and oregano and stir for 1 minute. Add spinach and stir just until wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer the ingredients from your skillet to a medium sized bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Roll out dough on the baking sheet to a 15 x 10-inch rectangle. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese onto one half of the crust, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge (It will be much easier to seal if there isn't anything close to the edge of your calzone). Sprinkle on 3/4 cup Fontina cheese and top with the mushroom mixture, spreading evenly on the one half of the dough. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons Parmesan and 3/4 cup Fontina over the mushrooms. Spoon dollops of the ricotta cheese on top and sprinkle with crushed red pepper. Fold the plain half of the dough over the side with the filling. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal. Brush the top of the calzone with olive oil.
- Bake until brown, about 18 minutes.
Calories: 540 kcal · Carbohydrates: 52 g · Protein: 27 g · Fat: 26 g · Saturated Fat: 13 g · Cholesterol: 71 mg · Sodium: 1240 mg · Potassium: 415 mg · Fiber: 3 g · Sugar: 8 g · Vitamin A: 3429 IU · Vitamin C: 10 mg · Calcium: 412 mg · Iron: 4 mg
(Recipe adapted from epicurious.com)
Try our 20 Minute Quick and Easy Calzones!