Well, blog world, once again I have been faced with the challenge of making food cooked in a slow cooker all day (and that is literally falling apart because it’s so tender) look amazing in a photograph . . . and well, it didn’t work out that great. 😉
But let me tell you – do not judge a book by it’s cover! This chicken was absolutely delicious!
I have tried a couple of slow cooker honey mustard recipes, but all of them seemed to be lacking something . . . the flavor was almost diluted after cooking for so long and I always ended up with a dry piece of meat.
One of my favorite recipes is Smoky Honey Mustard Pork Chops – the flavor and tenderness of the pork is amazing! I decided that I would try and adapt that recipe from the grill to the slow cooker and it totally worked!
The secret ingredient to this honey mustard chicken is liquid smoke. You can usually find liquid smoke in your grocery store by all the BBQ sauces and hot sauces and it’s only around $1-$2 . . . now, don’t worry! This chicken doesn’t taste all smoky! It just adds a depth to the flavor and keeps the chicken nice and tender.
This is definitely one of those slow cooker recipes you’ll want to keep in your back pocket for when you need a delicious dinner in a short amount of time!
PS – When I am short on time, I will substitute this Honey Mustard Dressing instead of making my own. It still turns out awesome!
Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- liquid smoke
- ⅔ cup Dijon Mustard
- ⅓ cup Honey
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper and then give both sides a generous dousing of liquid smoke (I did 2-3 squirts on each side of the chicken breast). Place chicken breasts inside of slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix together mustard, honey, and garlic. Pour of the top of the chicken breasts and place lid on top of slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH 3-4 hours (but I highly recommend cooking on low).
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and serve.
- When I am short on time, I will substitute this Honey Mustard Dressing instead of making my own. It still turns out awesome!
- Slow Cooker
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Mixing Bowl