Every time we go to a Mexican restaurant, I can almost guarantee that my husband will order one of two things: fajitas or potato tacos.
He loves them. I decided to make them at home, and they were a tasty change to our menu this week.
I feel like I was making all the same dinners, again and again. I came across a few new recipes, and this one was by far my favorite.
I don’t know why I didn’t think of this recipe before.
They are so delicious, so simple, and taste amazing. Your family is going to love these. Vegetarian or not, you will love and enjoy this delicious dish.
tips for making potato tacos
-You will want to line your baking pan with aluminum foil, as well as spraying it with non-stick cooking spray.
This will help cleanup be a breeze. These aren’t messy, but the potatoes can stick or leave a little residue, when baking, so we play it better safe than sorry.
We wouldn’t recommend using a parchment paper or rubber mat when cooking. We have found that foil works best, when sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
-Sometimes the best stirring utensil, is your hands. I have found that when I use my hands to combine the potatoes and olive oil, the potatoes are better coated.
Again you could use a mixing spoon, rubber spatula, or a fork and spoon combo, but hands work best.
It also makes a great moisturizer. My hands are so soft after having a little oil on them, so that’s a bonus.
You may also want to use your hands again when you add your spices, just to be sure, each potato has seasoning on it.
-Flip the potatoes halfway through baking to allow them to get golden on both sides of the potatoes. This will also prevent sticking. If you let them cook on one side the whole time, you may end up with some burnt and stuck potatoes.
-Add your favorite taco toppings. We shared ours in the ingredients, but you top your potato tacos, with whatever you prefer to put on your tacos.
could I add meat to these?
You most definitely could add meat to these potato tacos. I have tried adding ground turkey with taco seasoning on it, and it was scrumptious.
You could also use a ground beef, steak, or chicken, with a little taco seasoning on it as well.
what kind of potato works best for this recipe?
I love how simple potatoes are. For this recipe, you could use any potato. You could even use sweet potatoes.
We used russet potatoes, because they come in bulk and are cheap, but you could also use mini red potatoes, yellow, or any that you have on hand.
Any potatoes will work for this recipe. I like using the yellow sweet potatoes, just for a little more flavor, but any will work.
watch how to make our oven baked Beef Tacos
These tacos taste amazing. We wanted to make your life a little easier, and show you how to make them. You can find this recipe, and many more like it, on our Youtube Channel.
looking for more easy taco recipes?
Potato Tacos Recipe
- 2 large russet potatoes diced into bite sized pieces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 flour tortillas taco sized
- 1 cup pico de gallo (optional)
- 1 avocado diced (optional)
- 2 Tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup shredded cojita cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place diced potatoes on the foil-lined pan.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes and using your hands, gently toss the potatoes until oil has covered all the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, mix together cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the potatoes and once again, use your hands to incorporate spices over the potatoes.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until they start to turn a golden-brown, flipping once.
- When finished baking, remove from the oven, and split evenly into tortillas. Top with desired toppings (optional toppings are not included in nutritional information)
- Baking Sheet
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!