When we were in Kauai (you can read all about that trip HERE), one of our most favorite desserts was the Hula Pie from Duke’s Cafe. It was glorious – I mean, just look at that thing! With the twins here we don’t have any trips to Kauai planned for the near future, so I recreated my own version of this Hawaiian specialty at home. It turned out just as delicious, although it wasn’t quite the same eating it at my counter as it is eating on a beautiful island. 😉
Copycat Hula Pie Recipe
- 24 oreos finely crushed
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ gallon vanilla ice cream softened (or macadamia nut if you can find it!)
- 1 cup macadamia nuts chopped
- whipped cream
- hot fudge
- macadamia nuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together oreos and butter and press them into the bottom of a greased 9" pie pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven, and let it cool completely.
- In a large bowl, mix together softened vanilla ice cream and macadamia nuts. Pour ice cream mixture into pie pan, then top with drizzled hot fudge, whipped cream, and a few more macadamia nuts.
- Place in the freezer for 3-4 hours, letting it thaw for about 5-10 minutes before serving (that will make it a lot easier to cut!).