Our mom grew up with these delicious graham cracker bars. The recipe has been missing for many years and then our cute step grandma found it.
These are the easiest bars to make, no baking needed. They are a no fail dessert. So happy to have them back.
Growing up we used to always come home from school to an after school snack. One of my favorite after school snacks (or just guilty pleasures) till this day, is graham crackers and frosting.
Particularly chocolate frosting. If you have never personally tried the combination… you need to try it. The best is after a few hours and the graham crackers start to go a little soft and it’s delicious.
Believe it or not, these Graham Cracker Bars are even better. They are my all time fav dessert, and I am beyond happy to have them back in my life. You will love this simple and inexpensive treat.
could i make these with brown sugar instead of regular sugar?
You could most definitely make this recipe using brown sugar instead of regular cane sugar. Both would work and taste absolutely delicious with this recipe.
do these need to stay refrigerated?
These bars don’t necessarily have to stay refrigerated, however we do recommend it, because I think they taste a little better.
The frosting thickens up nicely and I also feel like it softens the graham crackers a little more. Either way this recipe is delicious, but we do recommend refrigerating them.
We also recommend keeping them covered with a lid, or with saran wrap or foil, for the best results.
room temperature butter:
The secret to making the perfect frosting is having the butter at room temperature. If the butter is warm or melted, the frosting won’t thicken up as nicely.
We highly recommend having your butter at room temperature when making this recipe, for the best results.
watch how to make another favorite bar recipe, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
These Rocky Road Brownies are incredibly easy to make and full of fudgy marshmallow flavor. They come together quickly, and are sure to be a huge hit. Watch how easy they are to make, here:
Frosted Graham Cracker Bars Recipe
- 14.4 ounces graham crackers 1 box, divided
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1½ cups sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts we used walnuts
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (from the box listed above)
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 1¾ cups powdered sugar more or less if needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with whole graham crackers. Break some apart so that the whole bottom of the pan is covered. You can piece them in along the edges.(about 8 whole graham crackers)
- In a medium sized pan combine butter, sugar, milk, and beaten egg. Cook stirring constantly until it boils. Remove from heat and add coconut, chopped nuts and graham cracker crumbs.
- Spread over crackers in the pan and then immediately place more whole graham crackers on top covering the coconut mixture.
- Let cool slightly.
- Make the frosting by combining the butter, cream, powdered sugar, vanilla, and almond. Mix until well blended. If it's too runny add a little more powdered sugar.
- Spread over the top graham cracker layer.
- Refrigerate for about 20 - 24 hours. This will soften up the graham crackers. Then cut into bars.
- The hard part is waiting the 24 hours. But you need that time so that the graham crackers will soften up. These are AMAZING!! Our mom actually likes them better after sitting out about 30 minutes! Mmmmm!
- 9x13-inch Baking Pan
- Medium Pan
- Mixing Bowl
Looking to eat healthier? Sign-up to receive a healthy menu plan and shopping list in your inbox every week!
EACH HEALTHY MENU PLAN INCLUDES:
- A WEEK AT A GLANCE
- 6 MAIN DISH RECIPES
- 2 SIDE DISH RECIPES
- 1 SNACK/TREAT RECIPE
- DETAILED SHOPPING LIST
Every recipe in the menu plan is 500 calories or less per serving and includes nutrition information to help you stay on track!
Learn more, view sample menu plans and join HERE!