My 5 year old refuses to eat anything for lunch except for bean burritos. When we go out to eat the only place she will go is to a taco restaurant. That little girl would eat bean burritos for all three meals if I let her. Not only does she love them but my husband can eat a lot of them in one sitting. I decided that there has to be a cheaper way than buying them prepackaged. I took of one of our old recipes: Refried Beans (with out the re-fry) and made it into Freezer Meal Slow Cooker Bean Burritos. They turned out AMAZING and it made a lot!
Freezer Meal Slow Cooker Bean Burritos Recipe
I took of one of our old recipes: Refried Beans (with out the re-fry) and made it into Freezer Meal Slow Cooker Bean Burritos. They turned out AMAZING and it made a lot!
- 1 onion peeled and halved
- 3 cups can pinto beans rinsed and dried off (you can also use Black Beans)
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1¾ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 24 tortillas (I used whole wheat)
- 3 cups shredded cheese
- slow cooker refried beans
- Place the onion, rinsed beans, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
- Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
- Spoon some beans onto the tortilla. Add as much cheese as you would like.
- Fold in two sides of the tortilla then roll the rest of the tortilla. Next place each burrito and place it on a 12x12" sheet of foil. Fold in both sides of the foil and roll the tortilla in it. Stick them in the freezer when you are done.
- When you are ready to eat one, take it out of the foil and stick it on a plate. Microwave the burrito for about 2 minutes or until the burrito is heated all the way through.
- It made about 18 burritos.
- Make sure to use canned beans and not dry beans
Calories: 30 kcal · Carbohydrates: 6 g · Protein: 2 g · Fat: 1 g · Saturated Fat: 1 g · Sodium: 659 mg · Potassium: 136 mg · Fiber: 1 g · Sugar: 1 g · Vitamin A: 2 IU · Vitamin C: 5 mg · Calcium: 23 mg · Iron: 1 mg
- Slow Cooker
- potato masher
- microwave safe plate