I love enchiladas, but sometimes the task of rolling each enchilada seems too time-consuming (especially on busy nights)! This recipe has all the flavor and ingredients of enchiladas, but without all the hard work of rolling them up! You just layer all the ingredients (just like a lasagna!), throw it in the oven, and dinner is done!
This recipe is flavorful and CHUCK FULL of vegetables- even my veggie-hating husband scraped his plate clean!
Serves: 8 people
Chicken Enchilada Lasagna Recipe
This recipe has all the flavor and ingredients of enchiladas, but without all the hard work of rolling them up!
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small zucchinis diced
- 8 green onions diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- ½ cup black olives sliced
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach chopped/shredded
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 cups cooked rotisserie chicken (or any other leftover chicken)
- 1 (15oz) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 16 ounces your favorite salsa (I used mild so it wouldn't be too hot for my kids)
- 1 bunch fresh chopped cilantro
- 4 cups mild green enchilada sauce (I used two jars of my favorite brand)
- 16 corn tortillas cut into strips
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (cheddar works too)
- Toppings: sour cream, tomatoes, avocados, etc.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add zucchini, onions and green peppers and saute until they start to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in olives, spinach, cumin, salt and pepper until spinach starts to wilt. Once spinach is all wilted, remove the skillet from the heat and stir in chicken, beans, salsa and cilantro (if using). This is the filling for the lasagna. Set aside.
- Spray a 9x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce across the bottom of the dish and place 1 layer of corn tortilla strips over top. Sprinkle some cheese over the top. Spread half of the chicken and veggie filling over the tortillas and cheese. Top with more cheese, more tortilla strips and 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce. Continue layering the lasagna with more cheese, the last 1/2 of the filling, more cheese, the remaining tortilla strips, 2 cups of enchilada sauce and the last bit of cheese.
- Cover the baking dish and bake at 350 F for 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Top with avocados, sour cream, avocados, tomatoes, cilantro, etc.
Calories: 442 kcal · Carbohydrates: 41 g · Protein: 30 g · Fat: 19 g · Saturated Fat: 7 g · Trans Fat: 1 g · Cholesterol: 72 mg · Sodium: 1942 mg · Potassium: 823 mg · Fiber: 8 g · Sugar: 12 g · Vitamin A: 3229 IU · Vitamin C: 39 mg · Calcium: 322 mg · Iron: 3 mg