When I think of fall, I automatically think of caramel apples. I remember my mom melting a huge pot of caramel and dipping in countless apples for all of us to devour! Now that I have children of my own, it is a tradition I plan to carry on in my own family. I decided to try a twist on the caramel apple that would be easier for my toddler to eat, and boy did he eat!
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
10 minPrep Time
1 hr, 10 Cook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- Cheesecake Filling:
- 3 (8 ounce) packages fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Streusel Topping:
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup Smart Balance Buttery Spread Original Flavor, softened (could be substituted with butter or margarine)
- Caramel Topping:
- 1 cup Kraft caramels, melted
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Mix in butter with a fork until mixture forms crumbs. Press crumb mixture into a 9x13 pan, lined with foil and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese and 1 cup sugar until smooth. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Pour cream cheese mixture over warm crust.
- In a separate bowl, mix together chopped apples, 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spread mixture over your cream cheese layer.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats and Smart Balance Buttery Spread. Mix until crumbs form and sprinkle over apples. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until filling is set. Melt caramels and heavy cream in a microwavable bowl in 30 second increments, stirring each time, until smooth. Drizzle melted caramel over your cheesecake and let cool.
Six Sisters Stuff
Questions & Reviews
The Iron Chef Mom Team :)
BTW- I voted and it looks like you are in the lead, yay! :D
I would use about 10 to 12 caramels!