My husband’s friend is huge into making everything from scratch. He gave him his special recipe of Homemade Whole Wheat Bread from www.cookingbread.com. He makes a couple of loaves and then freezes them so he can have homemade bread all the time! I attempted to make it and it was DELICIOUS!!! WAY better than store bought wheat bread that is for sure! Enjoy!
Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- 1¾ cup lukewarm milk
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup buckwheat honey (I just use honeybear honey)
- 1 large egg beaten
- 4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 5½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Heat milk to 110-115 F.
- Pour into a bowl add melted butter, olive oil, buckwheat honey and beaten egg, mix all together until well blended.
- Add in 3 cups of flour, salt and yeast mix until smooth - about 2 minutes.
- Allow dough to rest for 20 minutes.
- Gradually add flour until the dough becomes a soft dough.
- Pour out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 - 10 minutes adding more flour as needed.
- Place dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let proof for about 1 1/2 hours or till double in bulk.
- Pour out dough onto a flat surface and knead for a minute or two.
- Cut dough in half and shape into loaves.
- Place into two greased 4.5x8.5 loaf pans.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to double in size.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.
- Mixing Bowl
- Hand or Stand Mixer
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 4.5x8.5 Loaf Pans (2)
Items needed for this recipe:
Looking for other bread recipes? Here are a few of our favorites!
6 Loaves of Wheat Bread in ONE Hour
Easy Homemade French Bread
30 Delicious Quick Bread Recipes
Cheesy Garlic Flat Bread
Homemade Bread Bowls
We’ve put together 50 of our favorite family recipes to make dinnertime a breeze!
You can get this eCookbook for just $4.99 (that’s less than ten cents a recipe)!
Get it HERE!