This delicious soup can be made in a slow cooker and is packed with flavor!
Serves: 6 people
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup Recipe
Love that this soup cooks all day in a slow cooker! It does take some prep work, but the taste is well worth it!
- ¾ cup butter
- 4 yellow onions sliced thinly into rings
- 1 Tablespoon white sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup apple cider
- 7 cups beef broth
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 1 loaf french bread sliced into 1" slices
- ½ cup Provolone cheese
- ½ cup swiss cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, melt butter. Add in onions and cook until see-through, stirring frequently (It takes about 10 minutes).
- Add in sugar, and reduce heat to medium. Stir the onions constantly, caramelizing them. It will take about 20-30 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic and apple cider, and stir until warmed through.
- Transfer the onions to the slow cooker and add in beef broth and thyme. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Before serving, place the french bread slices on a baking sheet and broil in the oven for 1-2 minutes (just until browned).
- In a small bowl, mix together the three cheeses.
- Pour soup in oven-safe bowls (the soup will serve 6-8), place a piece of french bread in each bowl, and then top each with a portion of cheese. Place each bowl on the cookie sheet, and broil for 2 more minutes, until the cheese starts to melt and brown.
- Serve hot.
Calories: 564 kcal · Carbohydrates: 50 g · Protein: 19 g · Fat: 32 g · Saturated Fat: 20 g · Trans Fat: 1 g · Cholesterol: 84 mg · Sodium: 1762 mg · Potassium: 404 mg · Fiber: 3 g · Sugar: 9 g · Vitamin A: 949 IU · Vitamin C: 6 mg · Calcium: 275 mg · Iron: 3 mg
- Slow Cooker
Questions & Reviews