These Lemon Poppy Seed Bars happened in my kitchen a couple of days ago . . . I love our Sugar Cookie Bars, but knew I wanted to add a lemon twist. Then I remembered how much I love Poppy Seed bread, so I combined forces and these babies were born! They are chewy and dense and incredibly delicious. I highly recommend making them ASAP!
Lemon Poppy Seed Bars Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2½ teaspoons lemon extract
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup milk
- 1½ teaspoons lemon extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- a couple of drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a large 15x10x1" baking sheet (cookie sheet) with non-stick cookie spray.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy (I used a mixer, but you could also do it by hand). Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each one. Mix in lemon extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda, and poppy seeds. Add in with wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spread the dough all the way to the edges in the prepared cookie sheet . I have found that it's easier to just use your hands to spread it (the dough may be sticky, so spray hands with non-stick cooking spray to make it easier to spread).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until dough is a light golden brown. Cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting: Mix frosting ingredients together until completely combined. Spread over pan of bars.