One of my favorite foods is Chicken Pot Pie – Marie Calendar’s freezer pies are my favorite (but not very healthy . . . bummer)! My family loved this lightened up version and I didn’t feel one bit guilty about eating it!
Serves: 8 people
Light Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
My family loved this lightened up Chicken Pot Pie and I didn’t feel one bit guilty about eating it!
- 1 cup Flour plus more for dusting
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons cold butter cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons skim milk
- 2 small russet potatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 medium carrots cut into large chunks
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 large onion diced
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 cups boneless, skinless chicken breasts shredded
- ½ cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pulse the flour, baking powder and salt in a food processor until combined.
- Add the butter, one piece at a time, pulsing until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Separate the egg; refrigerate the egg white. Beat the egg yolk and milk in a bowl, then add to the food processor, pulsing until the dough comes together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and gather into a ball. Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prick the potatoes with a fork and bake directly on the oven rack until tender, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly, then peel and break into small pieces (I placed mine in the microwave for about 5 minutes each instead of the oven and it worked just fine).
- Bring the chicken broth and carrots to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook 2 minutes; cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Add the milk, celery, potato pieces and the warm broth mixture and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chicken, yogurt, peas and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the filling to a 2-quart casserole dish, or two pie tins. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until about 1/2 inch thick and slightly larger than the dish.
- Beat the reserved egg white in a bowl; brush over the dough and season with salt and pepper. Press the dough against the sides of the dish. Place on a baking sheet and bake until the crust is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
Calories: 320 kcal · Carbohydrates: 32 g · Protein: 21 g · Fat: 12 g · Saturated Fat: 5 g · Trans Fat: 1 g · Cholesterol: 73 mg · Sodium: 290 mg · Potassium: 779 mg · Fiber: 4 g · Sugar: 5 g · Vitamin A: 6834 IU · Vitamin C: 15 mg · Calcium: 88 mg · Iron: 2 mg