I love German Chocolate cake . . . all the gooey coconut is so good to me! However, my husband is not as crazy about it as I am, so if I make a German Chocolate cake, I usually end up eating it all myself. Delicious going down, super hard to work off. 🙂
I found these little bars and knew they would be the perfect alternative to a cake . . . and easy to share with friends and neighbors so that I don’t end up eating them all myself!
Serves: 24 people
German Chocolate Cake Bars Recipe
A delicious chocolate cake with a gooey coconut topping! You can't eat just one of these amazing bars!
- 1 box devils food cake mix (not the kind with pudding added)
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 × 13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cake mix, butter and egg, and press into the bottom of the prepared pan. The crust should not come up the sides. Bake for 7 minutes and remove from the oven. The crust will not look done.
- While the crust is baking, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, egg, pecans and coconut. Pour evenly over the warm crust and sprinkle evenly with the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 24-30 minutes, until the top is a light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares.
Calories: 174 kcal · Carbohydrates: 15 g · Protein: 2 g · Fat: 13 g · Saturated Fat: 6 g · Trans Fat: 1 g · Cholesterol: 24 mg · Sodium: 189 mg · Potassium: 106 mg · Fiber: 1 g · Sugar: 7 g · Vitamin A: 141 IU · Vitamin C: 1 mg · Calcium: 35 mg · Iron: 1 mg