Could I make this cake using a DIFFERENT cake mix?
I am all about chocolate, however, you could easily switch out the chocolate cake mix for a vanilla or white.
If you use a white or vanilla cake mix, it will be very similar to our Strawberries and Cream Cake recipe.
We highly recommend giving either flavor a try because chocolate and white cake, are both delicious with this recipe.
What could I use instead of Heath or toffee bits, to garnish the cake?
I feel you, I am not much of a toffee or Heath bar fanatic myself. I can’t stand the texture, but the flavor is delicious.
However, with this cake, I have found that the toffee softens a bit overtime. We like to keep this cake refrigerated, because it tastes a little yummier to us, but you could easily switch it up and garnish it with something else.
Here are a few other chocolate lovers favorites, we recommend garnishing it with:
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- M&M’s (mini or regular)
- Kit Kat’s
- Twix Bar
- Snicker’s Bar
- Chocolate Chips
Watch how to make another one of our favorite chocolate dessert recipes, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
This No Bake Eclair Cake is light and rich and the same time. It is so rich and creamy, you won’t be able to resist. Plus that chocolate layer on top, really adds to the chocolatey goodness. It really is like an eclair in cake form.
Watch how to make this recipe, here:
Chocolate Mousse Crunch Cake Recipe
- 15.25 ounces Devils Food Cake Mix we used Duncan Hines
- 1 cup water (as called for with Duncan Hines)
- 3 eggs (as called for with Duncan Hines)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil (as called for with Duncan Hines)
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 Tablespoon cold water
- 2 Tablespoons boiling water
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces Chocolate Covered Heath bits
- 8 ounces semi sweet chocolate
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Bake cake according to cake mix instructions in 2 8 inch round pans. Allow to cool and set aside. This can be done several days in advance; just freeze the cakes when you're done.
- In a small bowl, combine gelatin and cold water and allow to stand for about 1 minute. While gelatin is softening, bring 2 Tbsp. water to a boil in the microwave. Whisk into the softened gelatin and allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine sugar, cocoa powder, whipping cream, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until medium-stiff peaks form. Mix in gelatin mixture and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare ganache according to directions.
- With a serrated knife, carefully slice the dome-iest part of each cake layer off so the layers are level. Place one layer on the serving plate and spread about 1/2 of the chocolate mousse over the cake. Sprinkle with Heath bits.
- Place second layer on top of Heath bits.
- Spoon ganache over the top layer, allowing it to drip down the sides. Sprinkle with additional Heath bits and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Place chocolate and butter in a glass or other heat safe bowl.
- Heat cream in either the microwave or on the stove top until it’s steaming hot with bubbles around the edges, but not boiling. Pour over the chocolate and let it sit undisturbed for 3-4 minutes. Whisk until smooth.
- Mixing Bowl
- Cake Pans
- Hand mixer
Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram |Facebook |Pinterest | YouTube
Check out our new cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Questions & Reviews
The Farm Girl
I popped over from the Sugar Bee Take a look tues party. Have a great week :)