We love the holidays and delicious treats. It was so fun when we were growing up and we would come home in the evening and find all kinds of goodies on our porch from our sweet neighbors.
These turtles make a great gift or dessert for your friends and loved ones. They are easy to make and look like you spent hours in the kitchen.
If you are looking for a quick and delicious holiday dessert, then you need to try this recipe. We have started a new family tradition, and we make these for our neighbors every year.
They are simple, quick, inexpensive, and only require
do i need a candy thermometer for this recipe?
Candy making has always been so intimidating for me. I also don’t have a candy thermometer, just a children’s one, in case of fever, so I have never truly attempted it.
However, with this recipe, there is no need for a candy thermometer. It is so simple, and all you have to do to test the caramel, is drop a 1/2 teaspoon of it, into cold water.
If it clings together, and forms a ball type shape, it is ready to go.
You could also use a candy thermometer, but I have always used the “soft ball trick” and it works every time for me.
what could I use instead of making my own caramel?
Making caramel can be tricky, because it can easily burn if you aren’t constantly stirring or watching it.
This caramel recipe, in the recipe card below, is pretty simple to follow, however, it can take a little time to make.
If you are in a rush, and need a quick dessert we have a few recommendations.
If you don’t have any desire to try and make your own caramel, don’t stress. You can easily melt pre-packaged caramel squares (found on the baking or candy isle at the store).
Simply drizzle a little caramel over the pecan. Wait for it to harden and cool down a little bit, then drizzle on the chocolate.
You could also place the pecans on a cookie sheet, topped with a Rolo candy, and bake for 10 minutes at 325. They will be almost the same exact candy, but won’t taste quite as delicious.
watch how to make another one of our simple candy recipes, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We created it, specifically with you in mind. It has all our family favorite recipes, that we wanted to share with you.
We know how difficult it can be to make a recipe, without ever trying or seeing it before, which is why we created our channel.
We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make it.
Each recipe is tried and true, so you can trust even the pickiest eaters, will love it.
Watch how to make our Slow Cooker Nut Clusters, here:
looking for more simple candy recipes? here are a few of our favorite:
Chocolate Caramel Pecan Turtles Recipe
- 3 cups pecan halves
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 7 ounces sweetened condensed milk ½ can
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces milk chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon shortening
- Toast pecans at 300 degrees on a cookie sheet for 5 to 6 minutes until fragrant. Let cool.
- Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper and spray lightly with non stick cooking spray.
- Arrange the pecans on the sheet in small groups of 3.
- To make the caramel, melt butter in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Cook and stir over medium high heat until it reaches 235 degrees on your candy thermometer or the soft ball stage. (Clings together well when you drop 1/2 teaspoon of caramel in cold water).
- Then remove the caramel from heat and stir in vanilla. Carefully spoon caramel over each nut cluster covering all the nuts.
- For the chocolate topping melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl or big glass measuring cup. Heat for 30 seconds at a time stirring after each interval until all melted and smooth.
- Then add in 1/2 teaspoon shortening to the melted chocolate chips. Stir all together until its blended in.
- Spoon the melted chocolate over the caramel and spread around with the back of a spoon.
- Once they set up you can eat them or store them in an airtight container.
- cookie sheets
- parchment paper
- Microwave Safe Bowl
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!