I still have so many zucchini recipes to share (I have been so creative with my zucchini this year!), but I am trying to spread them out so that this doesn’t become a blog dedicated to zucchini. These bars are awesome- and so full of veggies! I loved them without the frosting (kind of tasted like zucchini bread), but with the frosting they are even better. So if you have tons of zucchini like me, try these bars!
Carrot and Zucchini Bars with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese 1 package
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1½ teaspoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, oil, honey, and vanilla. Don't worry about clumps of the brown sugar, those will dissolve as it sits while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Then fold in the carrot, zucchini, and walnuts.
- In another bowl combine add the flour, baking powder, ginger, and baking soda. Whisk to blend together.
- Add to flour mixture to the wet mixture. Stir just until combined. Spread batter into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is cooled prepare the frosting. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the frosting ingredients with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Spread or pipe the frosting over the cooled bars. Makes 36 bars.
- You can also serve these bars without frosting for more of a Zucchini Bread taste.
- Medium Mixing Bowl (3)
- 9x13 Inch Baking Dish
- Electric Mixer