If you are trying to cut back on breads, then this is the recipe for you! It is SO good without a bun! If you have a few people who would like it better on buns (like my kids) I always have a few on hand so everyone will be happy.
Baked Bun-less Burgers Recipe
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- ½ onion diced
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- pepper to taste
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 12 leaves lettuce
- ½ cup ketchup (Optional topping)
- ¼ cup yellow mustard (Optional topping)
- 12 slices dill pickle (Optional topping)
- 6 slices tomato (Optional topping)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, onion, bread crumbs, BBQ sauce, seasoned salt and pepper.
- Gently press mixture in an even layer into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Use the tines of a fork to poke holes throughout the meat.
- Bake for 30 minutes (watching to make sure it doesn't burn).
- When the hamburger is fully cooked, the meat will shrink away from the sides and liquid will accumulate around the edges of pan. At this point, remove the pan from oven and carefully drain off excess liquid.
- Place slices of cheese in a single layer on top of the meat and return pan to oven for about 2-3 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes.
- Cut meat evenly into 6 patties and place in the middle of six lettuce leaves.
- Top with ketchup, mustard, pickles and tomato if desired.
- Top with another lettuce leaf, wrap up and enjoy.
- *Nutrition info does not include optional toppings.
- Mixing Bowl
- 9x13" Baking Dish