Better Than Anything Brownies Recipe

Camille and I had the opportunity to attend a luncheon for Dairy Queen’s Miracle Treat Day benefiting The Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.  We are so excited to be involved with The Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, as they have have personally impacted our lives.  Because of the wonderful staff at Primary Children’s Medical Center (one of the 170 children’s hospitals in the Children’s Miracle Network), Camille’s little boy is alive and well today, which you can read about here.
We were able to hear personal stories of how The Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals have helped individual families, and connect with other bloggers who support the cause.
(I wish you could see Camille’s cute baby bump in the top picture!  She looks darling!)
The Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals raises funds for 170 children’s hospitals across North America which, in turn, use the money where it’s needed most.  When a donation is given it stays in the community, helping local kids.  Since 1983, The Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals has raised more than $4 billion, most of it $1 at a time.  These donations support research and training, purchase equipment, and pay for uncompensated care, all in support of their mission to save and improve the lives of as many children as possible.  Find your Children’s Miracle Network Hospital at
To help raise money for The Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, Dairy Queen is hosting “Miracle Treat Day” TODAY!  Dairy Queen will donate $1 or more to the local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital for every Blizzard treat sold today!  Be sure to stop by your local Dairy Queen to help raise money for a great cause!
When I think about Blizzards, I think of all the DELICIOUS flavors they come in.  I thought it was only appropriate to share one of my family’s favorite brownie recipes!

Better Than Anything Brownies Recipe:

1 package German chocolate cake mix
1 (5 3/4 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (14 ounce) bag caramels
3/4 cup melted butter
1 bag milk chocolate chips
1 (8 ounce) bag Heath toffee bits

Mix together cake mix, melted butter and 1/3 cup evaporated milk.  Press 1/2 of mix into a 9 x 13-in. greased pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes.  Remove brownies from oven and sprinkle on half the bag of Heath toffee bits.  Melt together caramels and rest of the evaporated milk, pour over toffee bits.  Sprinkle on half the bag of chocolate chips.  Spread the remaining batter on top (this is easiest if you take pieces of the batter, flatten each individual piece in your hands and place on top).  Sprinkle remaining toffee bits and chocolate chips on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.

Looking for more delicious brownie recipes?
Here are a few of our favorites:
Like It? Share it!

If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing it with a friend

Family recipes, fun ideas, home projects & so much more!

Sign up for our free email newsletter and never miss another great recipe or tutorial.

• Susette says

I have made these for years, but I use english walnuts not Heath bits. They are awesome. The top half of the cake mix, I just drop it on in pieces. I don’t flatten them out. They turn out great. Easy to make & taste great! The hardest part is unwrapping all the caramels……

• Sue Rogers says

I have made this recipe for years, but called it Turtle Cake. And I use pecans instead of the Heath bits. I have seen other Turtle Cake recipes that called for making the cake as directed on the box, but I like this because it is more of a brownie than cake.

1. Nidhi says

I am not sure why but mine didn’t come out that well. Neither in looks and nor in taste. The ingredients all sound good but maybe this time I will try with Chocolate cake, instead of german chocolate cake.

2. Carrie says

These r delicious!!! I couldn’t wait for them to cool (let alone anotherr 3 hours in the fridge) so I tried them while they were still warm. So good. Wondering if I should even put them in the fridge now!? Not sure it would make them taste any better. Decisions decisions. HELP!?

3. CP says

I have been making these for 30+ years! These brownies, by far, are the best dessert ever. I use walnuts instead of the toffee, but I imagine they would taste delicious!!!! I have a problem waiting for them to cool too, so I usually have a scoop right out of the oven and then let them cool.

4. Lori Stewart says

I saw these in your cookbook and I just made these last night and they were a hit!! My new favorite brownie for sure!! Everyone I shared them with are drooling from all the yumminess!!

5. Melody says

I made these today and they caramel/evaporated milk part seems still very liquid after chilling. Are they supposed to hold together like a “real” brownie? I used Werthers soft caramels- 2 x 5.5oz bags and Carnation evaporated milk. Maybe because I used less caramel than called for? (Didn’t pay attention when purchasing supplies.) If they are supposed to be super-gooey and not really bars, I guess I did okay. Was hoping to cut them and send them to hubby’s work tomorrow, but may have to just send the dish if they don’t solidify more by morning.

• Cyd says

The caramel/evaporated milk mixture should not be way runny when the recipe is finished. We used Kraft caramels. Not sure how they compare to Werthers. You may need to have more caramel. You are a few ounces short. Ours held together like a brownie.