My sister gave me this recipe after I got married and I finally got around to trying it! It was so easy to make and is so delicious. Perfect for the colder months ahead! I wish I wouldn’t have waited so long to give it a whirl!
Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes 2 (14 ounce cans) , undrained
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, oregano, basil, chicken broth and bay leaf to your slow cooker.
- Stir until combined, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Thirty minutes before serving, melt butter over low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk flour into the melted butter to create a roux. Whisk mixture for about 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Whisk in one cup of soup from your slow cooker until smooth. Whisk in an additional cup of soup from the slow cooker. When smooth, add mixture back to the slow cooker.
- Add Parmesan cheese, whipping cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Let cook for 30 more minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Slow Cooker