School is back in session, which means we are whipping up after-school snacks all over the place! If you have ever tried those delicious peanut butter bars the lunch ladies served in elementary schools years ago (get the recipe HERE!), you are going to love these! Delicious peanut butter cookies, with a layer of peanut butter and creamy chocolate frosting. These cookies are bound to be a hit!
Lunch Lady Peanut Butter Bar Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup butter softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2½ cups creamy peanut butter divided
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter (softened room temp)
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar, brown sugar, and butter together.
- Add the vanilla, eggs, and 1 cup peanut butter and stir to combine.
- Then add oatmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt and mix together.
- Roll dough into 1" balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Melt remaining peanut butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds and stir until smooth.
- Spread a spoonful of melted peanut butter on top of each cookie.
- Let cool until the peanut butter has become solid again (I usually throw them in the fridge so they set up faster and so I can eat them sooner).
- While cooling, mix together all of the frosting ingredients with a hand mixer and then spread on top of cookies.