I love fruity desserts in the summer and this recipe is a new family favorite! My husband is a big lemon bar fan and these rank right at the top of his list. Even our picky two year old chowed down on a few of these!
Creamy Lemon Bars Recipe
I love fruity desserts in the summer and these creamy lemon bars are a new family favorite!
- 20 nila wafers finely crushed
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 4 Tablespoons butter cold
- 8 ounces cream cheese 1 package, (you can use low fat)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature, (just place eggs in a bowl of warm water for about 10 minutes)
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons grated lemon peel divided
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (use juice from lemons you zested)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- powdered sugar optional to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 8-inch square baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Spray lightly with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine Nilla Wafer crumbs, 1/2 cup flour and the brown sugar. Chop butter into small pieces and then cut into crumb mixture with a pastry blender. If you don?t have a pastry blender, just use 2 knives, or even your fingers to break up the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press crumb mixture firmly onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes.
- While crust is cooking, beat cream cheese and granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 2 tablespoons flour, and baking powder; mix well. Blend in 1 tablespoon lemon zest, and lemon juice and then pour mixture over crust.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight. These bars improve with time. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel just before cutting into squares to serve. Store leftover squares in refrigerator.
Calories: 2825 kcal · Carbohydrates: 427 g · Protein: 43 g · Fat: 110 g · Saturated Fat: 59 g · Trans Fat: 2 g · Cholesterol: 571 mg · Sodium: 2200 mg · Potassium: 1048 mg · Fiber: 6 g · Sugar: 307 g · Vitamin A: 3139 IU · Vitamin C: 47 mg · Calcium: 544 mg · Iron: 6 mg
- 8x8-inch baking pan
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Mixing Bowl (2)
- pastry blender