As part of the Mom it Forward network, we’ve teamed up with Werther?s® Original® to bring you these delicious caramel oat bars! I always think of hard candy when I think of Werther?s® Original®, but I was pleasantly surprised by their soft caramels.
They were so smooth and creamy. I couldn’t help but sneak a few while I was baking ? they just melt right in your mouth! I knew I could turn them into an even more delicious treat, and a creamy caramel filling for some oat bars sounded like a really good idea! Don’t let the namefool you ? these oat bars are one of my all-time FAVORITE desserts! They are gooey with just the right amount of chocolate and caramel ? especially when you use Werther?s® Original® caramels made with real butter and fresh cream ? and the crust tastes like a delicious cookie.
Caramel Oat Bars Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (no quick oats)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter melted
- 32 Individually wrapped Werther's Original soft caramels (unwrapped)
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- ½ cups walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt together. Add in melted butter and mix until completely combined. Press half the mixture into the bottom of a greased 8 x 8" pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While baking, mix together heavy cream and soft caramels in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir it for about 5 minutes (or until smooth), and then remove from heat.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and pour melted caramel over top.
- Top the caramel with chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Crumble the remaining oat mixture over the top of the caramel.
- Return to the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the bars start to turn a golden brown.
- Serve warm (they'll be gooey and delicious) or you can also refrigerate them.
- Mixing Bowl
- 8x8-inch baking pan
- Medium Saucepan