In honor of the release of our newest cookbook, 12 Days of Christmas with Six Sisters’ Stuff, we hosted a recipe contest to find YOUR favorite holiday recipes! After a lot of baking, cooking and sampling we have chosen 12 of our reader’s favorite recipes! Thanks to everyone who participated!
Today we are featuring this Potato Bacon Leek Soup recipe from Carrie Shatek in Minnesota. Here is what she said about the recipe:
I belong to a CSA (crop share where we get weekly vegetable deliveries) and love to try new recipes with the odd vegetables we get each week. This week I was challenged with leeks and this potato soup recipe is out of this world! Excellent flavor and was able to make within an hour with a toddler keeping me busy!! Such savory flavor. This would be an excellent recipe for Christmas if you have some people coming on short notice!
Well, to be honest, I had no idea what a leek even was. I had to google it and then use that image to find them at my grocery store! But I easily found them, right by the green onions and to be honest, they just looked like big green onions!
I whipped this soup up, not knowing what to expect, but holy cow!! It has AMAZING flavor and was so thick and filling. Even if you didn’t have leeks on hand, I think that green onions would also taste delicious.
Cheesy Potato Bacon Leek Soup Recipe
- 4 large red potatoes peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 leeks thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch (more if needed)
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, bring cubed potatoes and chicken broth to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender (about 25 minutes). Meanwhile, place bacon pieces in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of grease and set aside. Saute the leeks in the frying pan with the reserved bacon grease 8 minutes or until tender (if you didn't want to saute the leeks in bacon grease, you could use a tablespoon of butter or olive oil instead).
- When the potatoes are tender, stir in the fried leeks, heavy cream, bacon, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook on medium for 5 minutes. Then, stir in 1/2 cup shredded cheese and 2 tablespoons corn starch and remove from heat. You can always add more corn starch for a thicker soup. Serve hot.