Confetti Cupcakes with Homemade Strawberry Buttercream Frosting Recipe
These moist, fluffy, delicious, and FUN Confetti Cupcakes with homemade Strawberry Buttercream Frosting are made using a cake mix and a few key ingredients!
- 1 box white cake mix (I used a 16.25 oz Duncan Hines cake mix)
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ cup oil
- ¾ cup milk (I used 1%)
- ¾ cup sour cream (I used light)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup sprinkles (whatever color you want)
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks - at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup strawberry jam or preserves (I used our Homemade Freezer Jam)
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar (just keep adding it until it's the consistency you want)
- 2 Tablespoons milk
Combine the egg whites, oil, milk, sour cream, and vanilla gently with a whisk. Then sift in your cake mix and sprinkles and gently stir. Fill 24 cupcake liners 3/4 full with cupcake batter and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes (or until a toothpick stuck in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean).
Beat butter and vanilla together until fluffy. Add strawberry jam and beat until incorporated. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Mix until frosting is fluffy. It will seem kind of dry, so add 1-2 Tablespoons of milk until it's the consistency you like. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles (if you want).
OTHER TOPPINGS TO ADD TO CUPCAKES:
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Toasted coconut
- Crushed Oreo
- Chocolate drizzle
Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 237mg | Potassium: 50mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 296IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 1mg