Avocado Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Chicken and avocado come together with a creamy homemade sauce, wrapped in a warm tortilla, and topped off with lots of gooey cheese to make the perfect dinner: Avocado Chicken Enchiladas.
medium sauce pan
9x13 Inch Baking Dish
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chicken stock (you could use vegetable stock)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup mild or medium salsa verde (depending on how hot you want it)
- ½ cup fat free sour cream
Ingredients for Enchiladas
- 4 cups cooked chicken breast chopped or shredded
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 3 avocados peeled and chopped
- 8 flour tortillas
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In medium sauce pan, saute garlic in butter for about 1 minute on medium-high heat. Stir in flour let it cook for about 2 more minutes.
Next stir in the chicken broth, cumin, salt, pepper and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream, salsa verde and cilantro until smooth (or at least as smooth as you can get.)
Prepare a 9x13" baking dish with nonstick spray. Add about 1/2 cup sauce to the bottom of the pan. and spread out until bottom of the baking dish is evenly coated.
Lay out a tortilla and add chicken, shredded cheese, and avocado to the end of the tortilla and roll. Then place the rolled tortilla seam-side down and repeat until the pan is full.
Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Cover with 1 cup of cheese and bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.
- This sauce is super creamy with the sour cream, but if you’re looking for a lighter option, plain Greek yogurt is a great substitute.
- Chicken broth will work just fine if you don’t have any stock on hand.
- If you want to try and make these enchiladas ahead of time, prep all the enchiladas the day before and place covered in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
Calories: 460kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 833mg | Potassium: 745mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 621IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 399mg | Iron: 3mg