Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken Recipe
Asian-style breaded chicken with a complimentary delicious sauce that cooks in your slow cooker!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or chicken thighs) cut into large pieces
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup cashews
Combine flour and pepper in large Ziploc bag. Add chicken. Shake to coat with flour mixture.
Heat oil in skillet on stove top over medium-high heat.
Brown chicken about 2 minutes on each side. Place chicken in slow cooker.
Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes in small bowl; pour over chicken.
Cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours. Add cashews into slow cooker and stir. Serve over rice.
- If you want like sauce and want to have some to pour over the chicken and the rice, double the sauce ingredients.
- You can substitute the flour with cornstarch. However, if you plan to do so you will need to cut the amount in half.
- Don’t have canola oil? Feel free to use what you have in your pantry. Here is a great list of canola oil alternatives from Better Homes and Gardens.
- Feel free to add vegetables to the crockpot with the chicken if desired. Great options would be bell peppers, broccoli, celery, and carrots. Chop vegetables before adding to the crockpot.
- Not a fan of chicken breast? Try adding chicken thighs instead.
Calories: 293kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 764mg | Potassium: 667mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 96IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 2mg