Mom’s Frog Eye Salad Recipe
Mom's Frog Eye Salad, also known as Acini Di Pepe Salad, is my all time favorite food. It is so sweet and full of fruity flavor.
Large Mixing Bowl
- 8 ounces Acini De Pepe pasta
- 1 cup pineapple juice (reserved from pineapple tidbits)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ Tablespoon lemon juice
- 22 ounces mandarin oranges drained
- 20 ounces pineapple tidbits 1 can, (drained and reserve juice)
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple 1 can, drained
- 1½ cups miniature marshmallows
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- 8 ounces cool whip 1 container
Cook the Acini De Pepe pasta according to package directions. When done, rinse under cold water in strainer. Let cool.
In a saucepan over medium high heat stir together pineapple juice, sugar, flour, salt and egg. Cook and stir constantly until mixture thickens and is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Let cool.
In a large mixing bowl combine the pasta and thickened mixture.
Then gently fold in the mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits, crushed pineapple, marshmallows and coconut. Fold in Cool Whip.
Refrigerate until serving.
This recipe can easily be doubled.
- Store covered in refrigerator.
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 89mg | Potassium: 240mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 441IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 1mg