Instant Pot Pork Chile Verde (Pressure Cooker) Recipe
This easy dump-and-go Instant Pot Pork Chile Verde is so versatile. Made with onions, garlic, tomatillos, jalapeno, green pepper, green salsa, green chiles, and seasonings.
Forks (to shred)
- 3 pound pork roast cut into 3-4 large chunks (I used a boneless pork shoulder)
- 1 onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 2-3 tomatillos (husked and chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 16 ounces green salsa
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
Place your roast in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
Add all remaining ingredients on top of roast.
Set Instant Pot to manual and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. Let pressure do a natural release (it will take about 10-15 minutes).
Remove the roast pieces from the Instant Pot and shred using two forks (it will literally fall apart).
Add pork back into Instant Pot and mix with all the flavorful liquid.
Serve on tortillas and topped with pico de gallo, fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, or your favorite toppings.
- Tomatillos are like a green tomato wrapped in a husk. When I first purchased one a couple of years ago, I had to ask someone at the grocery store to point them out to me, but I have learned that most grocery stores carry them and they are fairly inexpensive. They are a key ingredient in this pork! Our favorite toppings are: lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, green peppers, and jalapenos.
- How to turn this into a freezer meal: Place roast, onion, garlic, green pepper, tomatillos, jalapeno, salsa, green chilies, tomatoes, and cumin into a gallon-sized freezer bag. Place freezer bag into freezer and it will last up to 90 days. When ready to use, dump ingredients from bag into Instant Pot and add 1/2 cup chicken broth or water in with the frozen food. Place the lid on top, move the valve to SEALING, and press the MANUAL button. Set timer for 90-100 minutes (or about 30 minutes per pound of your roast). Do a NATURAL RELEASE when the timer is done – I even like to let it sit in the Instant Pot for a few hours so that it falls apart so easily. Follow the rest of the instructions as written.
Calories: 276kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 565mg | Potassium: 953mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 516IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 2mg