Pesto Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Gooey mozzarella paired with pesto aioli, carved rotisserie chicken and sun-dried tomatoes make for one of our best sandwiches yet.
- ½ cup mayonnaise with olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons prepared pesto
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices ciabatta bread (or any other kind of bread)
- carved rotisserie chicken to taste (or shredded chicken)
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, pesto, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
On a foil-lined baking sheet, place the 8 slices of bread.
Spread an even amount of pesto aioli on each slice. Top 4 of the slices of bread with chicken and sun dried tomatoes, and the other 4 slices with mozzarella cheese.
Broil for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the chicken is warm.
Assemble sandwiches by placing one slice of bread with cheese one top of a slice of bread with chicken and serve warm.
We think this sandwich is pretty tasty as is, but you can always swap out ingredients to your liking. Here are a few other ideas:
- Swap out the sun dried tomatoes for roasted red peppers
- Use fresh mozzarella instead or another type of cheese like provolone
- Add a layer of avocados
- Add some arugula (it’s too bitter for me, but I know some people love it on their chicken pesto sandwiches)
- Swap out the ciabatta bread for focaccia or another fresh-baked favorite
- Add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Make the sandwich into a panini
Calories: 468kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 13g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 734mg | Potassium: 499mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 481IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 173mg | Iron: 1mg