Grandma’s 5 Cup Creamy Fruit Salad Recipe
Only 5 ingredients are needed to make our Grandma's 5 cup creamy fruit salad: pineapple, mandarin oranges, coconut, marshmallows and . . . SOUR CREAM. While not a typical fruit salad, it's a timeless classic that we grew up with and all love. And it comes together in a matter of minutes!
Large Mixing Spoon
- 11 ounces mandarin oranges 1 can, drain well
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple 1 can, drain well
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup sour cream
In a large bowl, combine the oranges, pineapple, marshmallows, coconut, and sour cream.
Stir until completely mixed together.
You can eat it immediately after mixing, but we recommend that you refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours before serving so that the sour cream can be sweetened by the fruit.
Try these other variations:
- add in chopped walnuts or pecans for an added crunch
- to make it sweeter, stir in a little powdered sugar - it will also offset the tartness from the sour cream
- add in a small jar of maraschino cherries
- add in a can of drained fruit cocktail
- add in dried cranberries and a dash of cinnamon
- stir in 2 Tablespoons of instant lemon pudding powder for a lemon-taste
- use pina colada flavored yogurt in place of the sour cream
- top with corn flakes for an added crunch
- add diced apples (if you don't like coconut, apples are a great alternative because of the crunch)
- add grapes (red or green) that have been halved
- add diced bananas
- add some marshmallow creme in with the sour cream to sweeten it up