Our grandma always made her stuffing from scratch and this slow cooker stuffing with apples is our spin on her recipe. Making this traditional stuffing in a crockpot will free up space in your oven for your other dishes!
You can find Grandma’s Thanksgiving dressing stuffing here if you want to take a look at the traditional stuffing recipe made with Stove Top.
There are many recipes that families love to make every year. Obviously, a turkey is necessary for Thanksgiving so make sure you check out How To Cook a Thanksgiving Turkey.
Our 30 Minute Dinner Rolls, delicious Green Bean Casserole, Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes, How To Make Turkey Gravy From Scratch, and Sweet Potato Casserole are all wonderful recipes to check out to put your Thanksgiving meal over the top!
What do you need for this crock pot stuffing recipe?
Slow Cooker Stuffing Ingredients:
- Stick butter
- Yellow onion
- Apple (optional)
- Mushrooms (optional)
- Mrs. Cubbison’s Herb Seasoned Cube Stuffing (you can find this HERE)
- Poultry seasoning
- Chicken broth
If you are looking to make your own bread crumbs it is fairly simple but can be a little time consuming and you’ll need to plan ahead. It is crucial to dry the bread ahead of time to get the right texture and flavor.
If you have the time you can leave the cut bread out on the counter for a few days before you need to make the stuffing. However, if you don’t have days before you need to make the stuffing or prefer something a little less time consuming, you can cut up the bread, add it to a sheet pan, and place it in the oven at 300 degrees for about 30-45 minutes.
You can also check out THIS recipe on A Bountiful Kitchen for how to make homemade seasoned bread crumbs.
Tools used in this recipe:
- Crockpot (or Slow Cooker)
- Large skillet
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Large mixing bowl
How to make slow cooker stuffing
Get out the slow cooker and spray it with non-cooking spray (for easy cleanup afterward or try out these slow cooker liners) and then set it aside for later.
Start by melting the sticks of butter in a large skillet pan over medium heat. Then add in the chopped onion, celery, diced apple, sliced mushrooms, and freshly chopped parsley to the pan. Make sure to stir very often to avoid things sticking and burning.
While that is finishing up heating up, pour the bread crumbs into a large mixing bowl then take the butter and veggies and on top of the bread and mix it all together. Next add in the poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Once everything has been mixed together pour the chicken broth over top, enough to moisten the bread crumbs. Lastly, mix in the beaten eggs until they are well combined.
Now, place the bread and veggie mixture into the slow cooker and place the cover on top. Turn it on high for 45 minutes. After the 45 minutes is done turn the heat down to low and then continue to cook it for another 4-8 hours.
Be sure to check back and make sure the sides aren’t getting burnt. Once you notice some browning, turn the heat off and move to off or warm. Then just simply serve and enjoy!
Restaurant cooking at home!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Watch how to make more Thanksgiving recipes
If you like watching the cooking channel or enjoy seeing how we make our recipes, you’ll love our YouTube channel! We show you how to make our tried and true recipes from start to finish. Take a look at this video and see how to make 4 Easy Instant pot Thanksgiving recipes.
More Thanksgiving side Dishes and desserts to serve:
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- Strawberry Jello Fluff Salad
- Easy Sweet Cornbread
- Simple Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Fluffy Cranberry Salad
- Apple Onion Celery Stuffing
Slow Cooker Stuffing Recipe
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 cups celery (chopped)
- 1 apple (diced, optional)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 10 ounce boxes Mrs. Cubbison's Herb Seasoned Cube Stuffing (about 10 cups)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, apple, parsley, and mushrooms in butter, stirring frequently.
- Pour bread cubes into a large mixing bowl and pour butter and vegetables on top and combine. Season with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Pour enough broth to moisten the bread cubes and mix in beaten eggs.
- Transfer mixture to slow cooker and cover. Cook on high for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to low and cook for 4 to 8 hours. Check occasionally to make sure the sides don't burn.
- If you are looking to make your own bread crumbs it is fairly simple but can be a little time consuming and you’ll need to plan ahead. It is crucial to dry the bread ahead of time to get the right texture and flavor.
- Slow Cooker
This post was included in our 10 of THE BEST Thanksgiving Side Dishes video – for more inexpensive and delicious recipes like this one, click here to check it out!
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.