I have a weird obsession with pot lucks. I am a total side dish person. Sure the grilled meat is always delicious, but I love trying all the different side dishes that people bring.
I always try to be a little creative with my side dish, because I like when people bring new foods for everyone to try.
Now on to the delicious part, THE FOOD. This recipe is a play off of my Mom’s Potato Salad. I love my Mom’s potato salad but this Loaded Baked Potato Salad is going to be my new side dish at our family cookouts.
It is so simple to make and perfect for barbecues. Really it’s perfect all year round, but I do love this recipe especially during the summer.
How far in advance can I make this recipe?
I usually make this recipe and eat it within the same day. However, you can make it in advance. You could easily make it the day before and it would be just fine.
However, I would not make it more than 24 hours in advance. This salad is best when it is served fresh.
Add a little more flavor:
This salad is delicious as is, however, I like to add a little ranch seasoning mix to give it just a little extra flavor. It is so yummy with a little kick of ranch seasoning mix.
Would any potato work for this recipe?
For this recipe, we used russet potatoes, however, really any potato would work for this recipe. I have never made it using sweet potatoes because I usually use russet.
I have made this recipe using mini red potatoes and it was absolutely scrumptious. You can also peel the potatoes, or keep the skin on. I like the texture of the skin, so I usually keep it on.
You could also use golden yukon potatoes. My friend makes her potato salad with them, and it is delicious every time.
Watch how to make another potato side dish, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
I am a huge potato salad fan. If you like potato salad, this is definitely a recipe you need to try. It comes together quickly, all thanks to the instant pot. Watch how simple it is to make, here:
Looking for more potato side dishes? Here are a few of our favorite:
- Cheesy Bacon Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Au Gratin Cheesy Potato Bake
- Brown Sugar Roasted Bacon Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Baby Potatoes
LOADED BAKED POTATO SALAD RECIPE
- 8 medium potatoes
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- ½ cup miracle whip (you can use mayo... but I really don't like that stuff)
- 12 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces (I left the peel on). Cover with water and boil until fork tender. It will take about 20 minutes. Check them at 10 minutes and ever few minutes after that. You don't want them overcooked or they will become mushy.
- Drain and rinse with cool water. Drain again. Put them in a large separate bowl and place them in the fridge.
- Mix the miracle whip and sour cream together in a small bowl. Add to the cooled potatoes, green onions, 3/4 of the crumbled bacon and 1 cup of cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with the other cup of shredded cheese and bacon and serve!
Looking to eat healthier? Sign-up to receive a healthy menu plan and shopping list in your inbox every week!
EACH HEALTHY MENU PLAN INCLUDES:
- A WEEK AT A GLANCE
- 6 MAIN DISH RECIPES
- 2 SIDE DISH RECIPES
- 1 SNACK/TREAT RECIPE
- DETAILED SHOPPING LIST
Every recipe in the menu plan is 500 calories or less per serving and includes nutrition information to help you stay on track!
Learn more, view sample menu plans and join HERE!